3 Ways To Form Healthy Habits As A College Student

I have learned a lot while starting my health and fitness journey as a college student.

24
woman in black tank top and black shorts holding barbell

As a college student, I'll admit it can be a constant struggle trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Becoming who you are, establishing your morals, and discovering what you love are all things that college can teach you, in addition to your education. Overall, during my first year of college, I have learned the importance of prioritizing myself, which included my health, and more importantly, my state of mind. I have gathered a few tips that I have picked up on my health and fitness journey as a college student that I hope will inspire others to start their own journey, too. It is never too late for a change!

1. Set goals.

Setting goals is vital for success. You have to create a plan, but restrict yourself from distractions during the process. Let yourself be at peace with your journey. It is not going to be easy, but eventually, it will all be worth it. Start your goals off small and continue to work towards more strenuous tasks. Beginning goals can be as simple as drinking more water or exercising for at least thirty minutes. Another important thing you can do is start a journal to express how you feel each day when you work towards your goals.

You'll feel different. I am sure of it.

2. Create an accountability mirror.

This tip was retrieved from the novel "Can't Hurt Me" by veteran David Goggins. David Goggins expressed the idea of getting "raw" with yourself. Hold yourself accountable to yourself and the goals you set. Create an accountability mirror. On your "accountability mirror," write down all your insecurities, dreams, and goals on post-it notes and stick them around your mirror. Anytime you'll look in that mirror, you will see all your dreams, goals, and ideas laid out. Maybe you will feel an urge to chase them. Goggins stated, "This is not a self-love tactic, you can't fluff it. Don't massage your ego. This is about abolishing your ego and taking the first step toward becoming the real you!"

3. Never give up.

While going through significant life changes, like changing your eating habits or finding the motivation to become a better version of yourself, it all comes from within. Your mindset is everything, and you may find that the hardest part. Do not let your mind get the best of you. One of the greatest basketball players of all time, Michael Jordan, once said, "If you quit once it becomes a habit - never quit!"