10 Small Diet Changes That Will Help You Lose Weight
Wellbeing

10 Small Diet Changes That Will Help You Lose Weight This Summer

Doing even just a few of these diet changes will impact your weight loss journey tremendously.

442

I never used to watch my diet. I'd eat whatever I wanted even if that means eating McDonald's 3 times a day. When I was in the mindset, I gained so much weight. As soon as I started watching my diet and stopped eating McDonald's, I dropped 15 pounds. Then with exercise, I was able to lose more. But, it all starts with your diet.

1. Stop putting sugar in your coffee.

I started drinking my coffee black just a few months ago and it was life changing. One cup of coffee can have less than 5 calories in it. Putting sugar and cream can make your coffee really bad for you. One teaspoon of sugar is 16 calories and half and half has 37 for two tablespoons.

2. Minimize snacking and snack healthy.

We all do it. Snacking is hard to control, especially when you see cookies sitting on the counter or your favorite chips. It's hard not to take one or two. You may not realize how much sugar and calories are in those things. Replace those sugary and unhealthy snacks with veggies or fruit. Your body will thank you.

3. Cool it on the fast food.

Anytime anyone asks me how I stay fit, the first thing I say is I don't eat fast food. Occasionally, I'll get Chick-fil-a or a burger from a fast food joint but it is very rare. First of all, you have no clue what is actually in that food. Chicken nuggets from fast food places are "mechanically separated" and McDonald's french fries don't disintegrate even after 3 years. If mother nature can't disintegrate french fries, how do you think your body will handle it?

4. Eat a protein rich breakfast.

Eating protein in the morning will help suppress your hunger during the day. Instead of eating a bowl of sugary cereal, eat some eggs instead.

5. Drink water.

So many people are not hydrating enough. That can cause your body to think it's hungry. Instead of reaching for a snack, drink water and see how you feel afterwards.

6. Cut out the soda.

We all know soda is horrible for you. The other day, I watched my boyfriend pour diet coke on my corroded battery in my car to clean it. Do you really want that in your stomach? If you don't believe me, YouTube things that dissolve in soda. It's disgusting.

7. Watch your carbs.

Carbs aren't totally bad for you. There are such things as "healthy" carbs. These are things like oats, sweet potatoes, and kidney beans. Some of the "unhealthy" carbs are white bread, chocolate, and fruit juices with added sugars.

8. Cool it with alcohol.

Being in college, I see so many people binge drink every weekend. Not only is that horrible for your brain, but it's so bad for your diet. Even going to the gym won't always fix your beer gut if you continuously drink.

9. Portion control.

Being on a diet doesn't mean don't eat that chocolate cake. It means don't make a habit out of it. Restaurants almost always give too much. Don't force yourself to eat it. Get a to-go box instead.

10. Stop eating when you are sad and stressed.

Even though you might think it will help, this won't help your sadness. If anything you'll be sadder because you ate 10 cookies and now you don't feel good. Instead of eating, find other things to take your mind off those emotions. Exercise, journal, or do other hobbies when you're sad and stressed.

Even just following a few of these will help you stay healthy. Just be mindful of what you're putting in your body and your body will thank you.