What You Need To Know About Finstas

What You Need To Know About Finstas

Are some of them really necessary?

19
What You Need To Know About Finstas

For those who are not Instagram users, you may not be aware of one of the latest trends: "finstas" (a.k.a fake instas). Lately, they've been the first thing I see when I open up Instagram, but I'm not necessarily complaining. It's easy to see why they're the latest trend since they're a way for people to complain, talk about their day, or tell funny stories, all while posting embarrassing and/or non-aesthetically pleasing pictures. While some are actually hilarious to see, others make me yawn or roll my eyes. So, what exactly makes a "finsta" interesting?

Personally, I don't find the accounts that just talk about their day very interesting, nor funny. Sure, sometimes the picture posted is comical, but I'll find myself reading only half of the paragraph-long caption before I get bored and continue scrolling. Quite frankly, I don't really care that the Starbucks woman messed up your order, or that your plans to get blackout drunk didn't work out. Unless there's some sort of funny story to go along with it, I'm not really amused.

On the other hand, some of the accounts I follow post some quality stuff, to the point where I show my roommate so we can both get a good laugh. For example, just the other day, my friend posted a finsta with a caption talking about a party she went to, and she and her friends devised a plan that clearly didn't work out–as portrayed in the photo. Reading the funny story and having the picture to go along with it is what made it a quality finsta post.

Basically, the original purpose of a finsta was to act similarly to how we did in middle school, or just to be funny–similar to a sass account on twitter back in 2013. What they've become is a place for people to complain about things no one really cares about–but hey, you do you.