Why You Need to Know About DisneyBounding

The latest trend and Halloween hack

519
The Darling Guide

I have never been one to follow fashion trends. Like ever. I wear whatever I find comfortable, not what’s on the latest fashion magazine. Any magazine I’ve ever read, I’ve skipped past the fashion-y parts because I just don’t care. Despite my apathy for fashion there was one new style that caught my eye and intrigued me. It’s called DisneyBounding.

These lovely ladies are bounding as Prince Eric and Ursula from The Little Mermaid!

DisneyBounding is best defined as "taking inspiration from a movie or character or even a scene and creating your outfit around it." People usually DisneyBound with Disney related concepts but when people use nonDisney inspiration, such as Anastasia or Harry Potter, it’s called a “rule-breaker bound.” Often “bounders,” as they call themselves, recreate these through wearing similar colors from whatever they took inspiration from. Some people focus on color-blocking (taking the main colors from the character, movie, etc.) or by trying to recreate the inspirational piece through similar clothing. For instance, someone bounding as Flounder might just wear yellow and blue or someone bounding as Minnie Mouse might wear a red dress with white polka dots. Accessories are also a popular tool to bound with. The main “rule” about Disneybounding is that it is completely open to interpretation and there is not wrong way to bound.

I’m not sure exactly where I discovered this bounding idea, but I reblog my favorites from the DisneyBound Tumblr whenever I get on. I have yet to purposely bound, but occasionally I plan to do it at a Disney-themed conference in a few weeks with my group that I’m going to conference with. I think bounding is the perfect, easy way to come up with a Halloween costume. For starters, it cost virtually nothing because you can use anything in your closet depending on how you interpret your inspiration. Halloween costumes can be expensive, especially for clothing you’ll likely only wear once for a few hours, so save yourself the cash and use what you already have.

A sassy Tinkerbell and Mr. Smee bound from Peter Pan.

There are many Facebook pages and groups for bounders. I personally use DisneyBounders Unite! Bounders are some of the most inclusive, supportive people and they love sharing their ideas, tips and experiences. It’s a very positive place; one Facebook user even said bounding helped her through depression. Some participate in monthly challenges (this month is #imnotbadijustboundthatway for a villain challenge), while others just enjoy seeing other people’s bounds. Many users said that it helps them with their confidence or just gave them a more discrete way of cosplaying more often. One Facebook user said they loved bounding because it's a conversation starter, especially at the parks while waiting in line. Even Disney Cast Members at the parks are aware of bounding and bounders love when cast members compliment or acknowledge their bounds.

A gender-bender Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

The woman who dubbed the name DisneyBound is Leslie Kay, a Canadian Disney fan. She runs the official DisneyBound social media (Twitter, her personal Instagram, DisneyBound Instagram, Facebook) and also has an online shop called Cakeworthy that sells all sorts of clothing and accessories inspired by Disney. She starting bounding when she was young and was able to spread it into the trend it is today. Not only does she share really cool bounds, but she also captures her adventures in Disneylands worldwide on her Instagram story, which is about as close to Disney as a broke college kid like me is getting for a while.

Check out some really great bounds listed in this article or elsewhere online and get some inspiration. Halloween is coming up so try bounding instead of spending money on a costume you only “need” for a few hours. Bounding is fun and easy for all ages so why not give it a try? Tag your bounds with #disneybounding or check the hashtag for inspiration!