A Jam-packed Week Of Beyoncé

Lemonade was released on April 23rd, 2016. However, it was only released on Beyoncé's own streaming service, Tidal. It was not until 3 years later that she released her latest and greatest album to every streaming service.

For most, this meant limited Beyoncé for the past three years. I can remember listening to the album on YouTube, having to keep my phone screen open to hear the sweet sounds. But, after a month or so, I got sick of going out of my way to listen to her music. So, I went virtually 3 years without the magic of Beyoncé.

On April 17th, 2019, Beyoncé released her Coachella concert film Homecoming on Netflix AND Homecoming: The Live Album. Let's just say...my world stopped. Yeah, yeah, yeah - I snuck in a couple of YouTube clips here and there when she performed at Coachella in 2018, but this was the real deal. I was in finals mode so I had to wait until the weekend to watch the concert, but I must have listened to the nearly 2 hours of live excellence a million times.

When the weekend hit, I finally watched the film. Twice. I loved it so much that I forced my friends to watch with me again that night.

I found myself listening to Homecoming: The Live Album every second I got: in the shower, walking to class, before bed. There was no moment that I did not want to be listening to this special album I had stupidly forgotten about, along with fresh remixes of Beyoncé classics.

Then, I got a notification that the studio album had finally been released on Spotify. After 3 years, one of my all-time favorite albums was fingertips away.

With all of this, I remembered my utter love and appreciation for Beyoncé. She does what no one else is doing and paves roads for others. Lemonade bent genres like no other, incorporating pop, blues, hip hop, gospel, rock, and country. Homecoming: The Live Album touches on every Beyoncé era, proving to be a show for any fan from previous to present Beyoncé excellence.

Not only is her music totally innovative, but the messages she spreads are unbelievable. She empowers so many little girls and opens the door for those who do not think they are capable. She encourages strength and confidence. Lemonade teaches about forgiveness and the power of love. When Jay-Z cheated on Beyoncé, the world expected her to use her fame and power to squash his career: a true diva move. But, Beyonce proved that it's not about winning. It's not about hurting them back. She teaches listeners that forgiveness is for those who are strong and willing to get in touch with their needs and emotions.

Her album details her stages of grief, showing audiences what it's actually like to go through something so heartbreaking. She shows that it is okay to be angry or sad or anything else. You can take your moment - no one is stopping you. But, there is no reason to let go of what you've worked for just because of one bump in the road.

This week of Beyoncé has had me reflecting on what it means to love and to be loved. Of course, Beyoncé and Jay-Z's relationship is not realistic to most. Any relationship in the public eye is subject to scrutiny and rumors. Her music embodies the strength and courage needed to have an extremely public relationship.

Homecoming: A Film By Beyoncé | Official Trailer | Netflix www.youtube.com