A Pandemic Christmas: New Ways to Celebrate this Year

Just because the holiday is cancelled doesn't mean the holiday is cancelled.

24
Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

The COVID-19 pandemic hit the U.S. hard in March and, by the end of 2020, the virus is still going strong. There is a vaccine on the way that will be available to the general public next year but, until then, we have to do our part to keep safe. This means social distancing, including for Christmas, which is a notorious holiday for family quality time. We know this is an absolute bummer, but just because you can't see your family for Christmas this year doesn't mean that your Christmas has to suck. Here's a few cool ways to celebrate Christmas this year:

Giving Back

One of the best ways to celebrate this unconventional Christmas is by giving back to your community. Many people have suffered from this pandemic and giving food, toys, clothes, or anything else you have and don't need to a shelter, charity, or thrift store can make a big difference. You can even reach out to your friends and family and encourage them to do the same!

Zoom Celebrations

On Christmas day, there's nothing better than gathering the whole family together to spend that quality time with one another. And, this year, you can still do that...via Zoom! Invite all your family members, or even your friends, to a zoom call and spend the holiday laughing, talking, singing, and all that jazz together, like you normally would.

Gift Exchanges

Social distance doesn't mean that your normal gift giving traditions have to die. There are still plenty of ways to give gifts to your friends and family! Send a gift card! Order something for them and send it to their house! In fact, this year, my friends and I used a randomizer to designate "Secret Santas" for our gift exchange. There are plenty of ways to exchange gifts safely this year!

Share your Playlists

Everyone loves a good holiday playlist, right? So why not share yours with your friends and family! You could even collaborate and make a playlist that includes all your holiday favorites.

Enjoy the Alone Time

Even though the holidays are a good time to spend with family, it might be nice to take your day off of school and work to spend completely by yourself. Eat sweets, sleep in, watch movies, do whatever you want! Socialization is overrated sometimes anyways!

Coronavirus has put a damper on all of our holidays, but just because Christmas is cancelled doesn't mean that Christmas is cancelled. Even with the pandemic, you can still have a good time this Christmas, whether is be by giving back, virtual celebration, or a little self-care.