A Lesson on "Giving Up" from Jalen Hurts

Don't confuse re-prioritizing your time and passion with "being a quitter."

56
Sooner Sports

From an early age, we're told to never quit. We're told that no one likes a quitter. "Quitting," whatever exactly that might mean, is stigmatized to the point where people are legitimately fearful of the social backlash that might come with leaving something they've always done—even if they're not happy. Oftentimes people are scared to move-on from something they've know they have no future in and choose to continue what they're doing because it's simply the easiest and safest option. Taking a risk can be huge, but if it's something you're truly passionate about, so can the rewards.

This is when we introduce our record-breaking OU Quarterback, Jalen Hurts. Jalen Hurts is a transfer from the University of Alabama. His freshman year at Alabama, Hurts was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year and SEC Freshman of the year. Sophomore year, he lead the Crimson Tide to a 13-1 season before being benched at halftime in the College Football National Championship Game. Hurts did not start his junior year, but in a twist of fate, actually relieved the injured starting Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, and Alabama defeated Georgia in the SEC Championship game under Hurts' leadership.

After that season he made an announcement that shocked the sports world. Jalen Hurts was transferring to the University of Oklahoma. There were people that understood, but there were also people who were enraged—people that hurled all kinds of insults at the new OU quarterback. People called him a sellout, a quitter, and some die-hard Alabama fans even disowned him under a harsher label: "traitor." However, it didn't take Jalen long to settle in his new position. After only 224 days of being in Norman, Hurts was elected team captain.

Hurts' passion was on display from the very moment he stepped on the field. In his debut, he shattered an Oklahoma Quartberack (and we've had some really good ones) opening record for total yards. Ever since the start of the season, it's been the Jalen show. Emerging as a Heisman frontrunner, Hurts is elevating the Sooners to a national championship-caliber team. Needless to say, Jalen silenced his haters—and he's not even close to being finished.

Jalen Hurts is a testimate to not giving up. It was a massive risk for him to drop everything he'd come to know in Alabama and transfer to Oklahoma and start all over again. However, deep down, I think Jalen never doubted himself for a second. It's evident every gameday that Jalen Hurts loves the game of football. He might've moved on from a situation where he wasn't where he wanted to be, but he absolutely, unequivocally did not quit.

So often we're pressured with the social repercussions of "giving up" or "quitting" that we forget to see the big picture. We get so immersed in how people will perceive us that we forget to stop and think "Where do I want to be? What do I want to do?" Know that you are in control, and ultimately the best decision you can make is the decision that's best for you. If you ever feel like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place facing the prospect of the status quo, or something completely new—but something you're passionate about—the solution is simple. Think "What would Jalen Hurts do."