A High Schoolers Guide to Surviving the Pandemic

From one high schooler to another

14
Chester E. Finn Jr.

With a semester of the 2020-2021 school year checked off, With March 2021, or the one year anniversary of the Coronavirus pandemic coming soon, almost everyone is going out of their minds being stuck at home. Moreover with a semester of the 2020-2021 school year checked off, teenagers all over the world are missing out on precious memories they would otherwise experience. From football games being canceled to the SAT's being rescheduled every month, almost every teenager has been affected by the pandemic one way or another. However, there are ways to cope and get by until everything gone back to normal. Here are some "COVID-19 survival" tips every high schooler needs right now.

1) CHANGE YOUR ENVIRONMENT

I have loved my bedroom my whole life, I never thought I could get sick of it. It is my safe haven. But now we are 10 months in to quarantine and I am completely and utterly sick of it. Staying in the same place is hard especially during school. Thus, changing your environment is crucial to keep the sanity alive. Instead of doing zoom classes in your bedroom all day, try going to another room such as your basement, siblings room, or kitchen. If you're really trying it to mix it up one might even try doing school in their bathroom. Anything goes at this point as long as it helps you. Attending school in different locations in your house could help you focus better and make your feel refreshed.

2) WORKOUT

Our physical health and mental health need to both be in prime condition during these trying times. Working out can help both of these. Now don't get me wrong I am as lazy as the next person. That's why any physical activity could pass. Example can include walks with your family, Just Dance or power walks on the treadmill. Not everyone needs to do the almost impossible Chloe Ting 2 Week Abs Challenge in order to keep themselves healthy. This method of getting physical activity not only helps during the pandemic but will aid you through various struggles your entire life.

3) KEEP AN AGENDA

Nowadays high schoolers have a lot on their shoulder from keeping an active social life, to having pressure to do well in school and extra-curriculars. This seems almost impossible to do, but keeping track of your activities can make it easier. I personally have two different agendas: one for personal activities/events and another for daily tasks/classes. There are many ways to keep track of your life and many resources to use. A popular agenda tool is Google Calendar. Other options include an agenda book, a whiteboard calendar, or websites such as My Study Life and Setmore.

4) TAKE A PHONE CLEANSE

It is difficult to stay off your phone when it feels like its your only escape to the real world while your stuck in your home all the time. But is it also extremely beneficial to put it away during school hours. Not only does it remove temptations, it also increases focus techniques when you do not have distractions close-by. A good method would be to give it to your parents or to put it in another room during your classes and when you're doing your homework.