A Guide to Winter Skincare

A Guide to Winter Skincare

The perfect skincare routine is different for every person.

Cailin
Cailin
239

The perfect skincare routine is different for every person. As our skin responds to changes in the seasons, we need to adjust our routines. Here is a complete guide to winter skincare:

1. Start using a humidifier 

Humidifiers help increase the barometric pressure which keeps skin moist and hydrated, throughout the dry months.

2. Exfoliate (gently) 

Exfoliation removes layers of dead skin, leading to healthier skin (with a brighter and clearer appearance).

3. Moisturize regularly 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-pouring-plastic-tube-bottle-1029896/

A great moisturizer for winter skin is "Celestial" (containing almond milk and dove orchid) from Lush.

4. Use a face mist 

Face mists are a simple and easy way to keep your skin hydrated. A recommendable all natural, hydrating face mist (containing aloe, rose, and clarifying herbs) is "Breath of Fresh Air" from Lush.

5. Use lip scrub and balm 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-granules-on-person-lips-925802/

Exfoliation is just as important for the lips, as it is for the rest of your skin. Lip scrubs can help scrub away dead skin cells and leave the skin looking/feeling smooth.

6. Don't forget the sunscreen

Sunscreen isn't just for summer weather. Too much sun exposure can be damaging, no matter what season it is.

7. Search for products with minimal & natural ingredients 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-holding-fern-1405772/

Search for products with ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe, and cocoa butter which are less harsh and less likely to cause further irritation to itchy and dry skin.

8. Be picky with your makeup remover 

Some makeup removers can be irritating and harsh on your skin. Be on the look out for makeup removers with natural ingredients.

9. Avoid harsh face-masks 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-girl-beauty-mask-3192/

Peel-off masks can cause further irritation to already dry and peeling skin. Swap your harsh masks for something more gentle and kinder to the skin (such as oatmeal or avocado masks).

10. Overnight moisturize  

Yes, I know, I already mentioned moisturizer BUT it is extremely important to keep your skin moist and healthy. Overnight moisturizers can help sooth your skin and increase the collagen in your skin (along with many other benefits).

11. Avoid foods with high amounts of sugar and starch contents

https://www.pexels.com/photo/slice-of-eggs-on-cakes-793785/

It's the holiday season, and these foods are hard to avoid. High amounts of sugars or starches can have many adverse effects such as acne, inflammation, and premature wrinkling.

13. Add exercise to your routine 

Although it's cold outside, it is important to stay active. Regular exercise helps to increase blood flow and nourish skin cells.

14. Know when to see a skincare specialist 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-having-bubble-bath-1202000/

My tips and advice come from research and experience. Skincare professionals can analyze your skin type and help find exact solutions to the problems you're experiencing.

Treat yourself and your skin with care.