A Guide to Help Pick a University That Is Right For You

Things to consider when choosing a University you will attend for the next four years.

2023
https://unsplash.com/@doradalberto

1. Location, Location, Location

When it comes to where you will be spending the next four year studying, where do you picture yourself? Is it in the hustle and bustle of a city? The country side perhaps? If you need to, make a list of the characteristics of your ideal location and cross reference them to the universities you are considering.

2. Living Situation

If you are a homebody and like personal space you may prefer to live at home. If you want to be close to the university but not on campus you may choose to live off campus with roommates. If you don't like to cook, you could love being on campus with a meal plan. Be sure to check if these options are available at each university. While some universities may have plenty of off campus housing options near by, others may not.

3. Majors

It's nice if the university you pick offers the major you intend to study. But does it have your back up majors? Let's be honest switching majors in university is more common then people think. Take time and look at the majors each university has to offer. Does it have other majors you would want to take?

4. Program Size

I find that I do better in smaller classrooms then larger lecture halls. Find out what is right for you and run with it.

5. Costs

Everything adds up in your four years of university. From tuition to food, it turns out to be ALOT. Remember to factor in any scholarships different universities may offer you. A university providing you a scholarship could make a big difference with student debt later on.

6. School Extracurriculars

Getting involved on campus is apart of the university experience. Being apart of extracurriculars helps a university become more then just a place of study. All universities have different clubs and sports. Not all universities offer the same extracurriculars. But you don't have to worry about this one too much. You can always try and start a club yourself at the university you pick!

7. Visit the Campus

Listen to your gut. Sometimes just being on campus will let you know which university is for you. If you are unable to visit the campus in person you could try joining their virtual open house sessions, talk to upper year students, or even attend a virtual tour if it is available.

8. Remember nothing is set in stone!

Don't worry too much. If you do end up picking a university that is not right for you remember nothing is set in stone. You can always transfer to a new University!