To All My '99 Baby's, It's Our Time To Shine

2020 will be the best decade for all the kids born in 1999.

198

If you were born in 1999, the year 2020 is a huge milestone for you.

2020 is the start of the new decade. For most of us, we will start our senior year of college. We made it, barely. When I say barely, I'm talking one all-nighter away from dropping out. We turn 21 this year, which means our first legal sips of alcohol. I say legal sips because I know some of y'all, most of y'all, have been drinking since the age of 16, but that's none of my business. 2020 is also our last chance to live life to the fullest without worrying about our futures. It's the last chance for us to make some of the best memories.

We are officially entering that awkward stage where we're considered to be adults, but are we? We're still in school, doing homework, projects, assignments and exams. But we always have the ability to make decisions that aren't so adult-like. We're old enough to drink but young enough to still need guidance from someone older and wiser.

So are we supposed to grow up now?

It's the last chance we have to take in all the privileges of still being a "kid." It's time to remember that this is the last time we are going to be this young and have the ability to stay out all night and get your life together the very next day. It's important to remember that we must live our days like it's our last because it very well may be.

If you're anything like me, half of your friends are either married, engaged or pregnant, but you still fall into the category of "still in college."

It's okay that you don't have it all together like others do. It's okay to not know exactly what you're doing after graduation. It's okay to still call home and ask for advice every now and again. It's okay to go out with your friends and have the time of your life because once you graduate and start your big kid job, you won't be able to go out and have those drinks. Not to mention that the people you are surrounded by right now won't be there once it's over. You have to let your life play out the way it's supposed to.

The decade of 2020 will bring our generation jobs, kids, wealth, sadness, love and most importantly, happiness, only if you let it. This decade is about making yourself into what you want to be in this life. This is the beginning of the rest of our lives, so don't sleep on the fact that this is it. You have one last year at the beginning of the decade to be a kid, then it's time to get serious. This decade can be anything you want it to be, so make the best of it and do the things that make you the happiest. That's what life is all about - finding the things that bring you joy.

So do all of the things that you love in 2020. Find new things that bring happiness to your life. Start this decade strong. Finish off college strong. Be serious, but not too serious. Have a work hard, play harder mentality. Get things done and have fun because the real world is coming, and it's coming fast. Drink responsibly because it is not cool to drink and drive, ever. Uber, walk or arrange a ride, just because you are 21 now doesn't mean it's okay for you to be an idiot.

The answer to the question "do we have to grow up now" is no, not yet. But keep it in the back of your mind that it's coming. Full speed.

Happy New Year.