Dear '90s Kids, Which Generation Do You Fall Into?

Are you more of a Millennial or from Generation Z?

1235
“Oh, your generation doesn’t know what failing is. You always got a participation trophy.”

How many times do our parents and other people older than us use our generation as a scapegoat?

Although I totally agree with the above statement, it always had me thinking of which generation I really do belong in. Millennials were born beginning in 1980 and ending in 2000, but Generation Z started in 1995 and we don’t know when it will end. That brings up the interesting point that people born between 1995 and 2000 can technically fit in either generation.

We all know the negative characteristics associated with Millennials — they’re lazy, don’t work hard, sheltered, less politically engaged, less altruistic and more. On the positive side, they’re described as open-minded, confident and careful. Also, Millennials lived through the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, and that has affected their sense of security. Where it becomes a little tricky for us born between 1995 and 2000 is that we don’t really remember 9/11. We definitely grew up with its effects, but it hasn’t affected our sense of security like it did for those who really remember the day.

Generation Z is mainly characterized by technology usage and by the Great Recession. Researchers say that Gen Z is the first group of kids to have technology at their hands since they were young. They also say that growing up during the Great Recession made them feel insecure about finding a job and thus independence and getting a college degree are two important goals of people of the generation.

Again about 9/11, Gen Z grew up knowing that the U.S. was always involved in wars and that growing global terrorism is a real threat. Even those born a decade after us grew up with ISIS and mass shootings and other events that have increased their insecurity. They are often described as more politically engaged on social media than Millennials.

So where do those born between 1995 and 2000 fit in? I think that we have characteristics of both generations. We certainly did not have technology since birth. I actually played outside with my neighbors and had to call my friends’ home phones and talk to their parents to coordinate a hang out. The extent of technology that I had growing up was my Leapfrog Globe that spoke to me and a DS when I got older. I didn’t get my first cell phone until eighth grade, and it was a flip phone. Also, I didn’t go through high school using an iPad or having online textbooks, and I’m pretty sure that most six-year-olds can work my iPhone better than I can.

Therefore, I would say that we don’t fit in with Gen Z, but I do agree that the consequences of the Great Recession have made us feel insecure and worried about our future careers. Also, most people my age do have social media and use it actively. However, I do agree with the 9/11 hypothesis even though I was only four-years-old at the time. Unfortunately, I do think that the negative characteristics of the Millennials do also apply to us; I do have a collection of participation medals.

So, which generation are we more like? I would argue the Millennials, but then again some of the more technology savvy people might argue the opposite. I guess a lot of it does depend on your upbringing and childhood. Maybe some of you got a cell phone earlier than I did and maybe others didn’t really play outside and instead played with apps on their phones. So, there’s no right answer.

Which do you think you fall into?