I'm Just a 90's Kid Obsessed with a 50's Lifestyle

How being born in the wrong generation is a daily struggle.

139
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/08/636483673180246540-198095534_black%20clock.jpg

Maren Morris’ song, “80s Mercedes,” is about a car that’s classic through any decade. She puts the words in a song that describe exactly how I feel if I owned a 1965 red convertible mustang. If I could pull up to the local shake and malt shop in my 1965 red convertible mustang, then walk in and listen to a jukebox blasting Chuck Berry; my life would be complete. The simple appreciation for the little things is what I value the most about the mid-nineteenth century.

I was hands down born in the wrong generation, I frequently find myself infatuated with traditional and classical music. Anything from the 1950’s-60’s and you’ve got me hooked. I even have a few friends that would agree with me and say the same thing; that they too were born in the wrong generation. I’m not saying that smart phones, Florida Georgia Line, and Dunkin’ Donuts aren’t fantastic things that I take advantage of almost daily, but I can only appreciate having these things so much. These are all items available to me at my fingertips or at least within a 20-minute drive of attaining. The things I love I can’t see live in concert or drive down the street and visit. They just don’t exist like they used to; it isn’t as genuine when it is recreated.

I love Johnny Cash, AC DC, and George Jones. All of these inspirational figures and groups have passed away or have made adjustments to the group because of people that have passed away. Awhile back my Mom texted me that Malcom Young had died. I was shocked (or as this generation says, shook), I wasn’t really sure how to handle this news. My immediate thought was, ‘There goes another group that I can’t see in concert, another group that I’ll just have to be satisfied with listening to on Spotify or Pandora.’ Not only were the singers genuine, but the movies created were original. They weren't remakes which seems to be all Hollywood is good at anymore. You can't tell me that the basic movie with cowboys and Indians, starring Mel Gibson, is boring or dumb.

You see, this love for another decade or era, is a daily struggle that people of all ages experience, a common thing I’ve seen in my generation is that people are constantly wishing they lived in the mid-to-late 1900s. Times weren’t always great during this era, but we appreciate what we hear and what we have seen during this time-period. If I could listen to Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash at some rundown hole in the wall place, my life would be made. It’s a daily struggle to find classic rock bands and traditional country singers that I love that are still alive, and not just alive, but still touring. Don’t even get me started about expenses for these concerts when the bands actually do tour.

I’m not wasting away my life wishing I was born in another generation, but I definitely have an old soul and cherish these things of days gone by. I'm grateful for everyone in my life, including everything I have in my life, but this is a little fantasy of mine that I know is relatable to multiple people.