I Was Born In 2000 But These '90s Shows Own My Childhood

Back off, 90's kids, these shows are ours too.

60

This dispute has gone on since the turn of the century: do 2000 babies have a right to comment on 90's shows? The answer by the way, is yes. Some shows were either still running or still playing repeats well into the early 2000's, which gives all of us newborns at the time a right to them. With that being said, some of these shows take me back to the mornings of getting ready for kindergarten… not college. So, without further ado, here are ten 90's shows that were my favorites and give me some pretty heavy nostalgia.

1. Bear in the Big Blue House

Bear In The Big Blue House Dancing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Bear lives in the big, blue house (of course) with his friends and they go on all kinds of adventures together that normally include solving problems, sharing, cooperating with each other, and developing social/life skills. Each episode opens with the welcome song and then throughout the episode, the theme is revealed. In the end a lesson is learned and Bear sings the goodbye song with Luna, the moon.

2. The Big Comfy Couch

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

This one is about Loonette and Molly, a clown and her dolly, who solve everyday problems on none other than their big, comfy couch. Key features of this show include Loonette's exercise routine the "Clock Rug Stretch," and toward the end, when she asks, "Who made this big mess?" as she performs her clean up routine called the "Ten-Second Tidy."

3. Catdog

Angry GIF by NickSplat - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

This series depicts the life of two conjoined brothers, with one half being a cat and the other a dog, go figure. Conjoined in the middle of their torso with no hind legs, these two are best friends but they have very different personalities; Cat is very cultured while Dog is very fun-loving.

4. Courage the Cowardly Dog

Cartoon Network Running GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Courage is a pink, easily frightened dog who lives with his elderly owners Muriel and Eustace Bagge. The three frequently encounter monsters, aliens, demons, mad scientists, zombies and other threats from myths and legends. Ironically, given his name, Courage is a genuine coward but still goes to great lengths to protect his owners in his endeavors to fend off the monsters and repair the damages done. This horror-comedy was one of my favorite shows.

5. Dragon Tales

Dragon Tales 90S GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Emmy and Max are two siblings in possession of an enchanted dragon scale capable of transporting them to Dragon Land. Befriended by four talking dragons, they frequently travel to Dragon Land and help their friends in fulfilling particular quests and assisting them in their daily problems while learning lessons of their own.

6. Ed, Edd, n Eddy

Ed Edd N Eddy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Another favorite of mine, "Ed, Edd n Eddy" follows the lives of "the Eds." These three preteen boys share variations of the same name, but differ greatly in their personalities: Ed is the strong, dim-witted one of the group, Edd or "Double D," is an inventor, neat freak, and the one that thinks things through, and finally, Eddy, who is a devious, quick-tempered, bitter con artist, and self-appointed leader of the Eds. The three devise plans to scam the cul-de-sac kids out of their money, which they want to use to buy jawbreakers. However, they always run into a problem or two, and the Eds' schemes usually end in failure and humiliation.

7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Girls GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Known for its adult humor and pop culture references, this series centers on the title character, a muscular guy who tries to get women to date go out with him. Johnny is usually rejected comedically and ends up in bizarre situations and predicaments, often accompanied by celebrity guest characters.

8. Little Bear

Nick Jr Nickelodeon GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Little Bear is a small, curious and imaginative grizzly bear cub who lives in the forest with his family and friends. He lives in a wood and brick house and is always kind and loves to play and explore with his friends.

9. The Magic School Bus

Getting Miss America 2016 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

The idea behind "The Magic School Bus" was seen as an opportunity to help kids learn about science in a fun way. In this show Ms. Frizzle takes her class on their shapeshifting school bus through all sorts of potentially dangerous adventures, including at one point, the body of one of her own students, to learn about various areas of science. Talk about an interesting day at school.

10. Recess

Schools Out Recess GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

"Recess" portrays the lives of six fourth graders as they go about their daily lives at Third Street Elementary School, where students have set up a traditional society complete with their own government, class system, and set of unwritten laws. This show illustrates a time when children can express themselves and develop meaningful relationships while struggling between individuality and social norms. Watching this show definitely gave me some worries about moving up in my educational system but I soon came to realize that the assistant teachers did not actually want to invite students to their houses for hula dances.

These wonderful shows shaped me into who I am today. They helped me through the beginning stages of life, to understand what certain life events mean, and what to be wary about. I owe a lot to these shows, and their relatable, knowledgeable characters.