9 Thoughts While Looking At The California Voting Ballot

Wonder what it's like being a first-time voter in the 2016 Election? Read my inner monologue as I learned the struggles of voting.

16
Vepar5/Shutterstock.com

As a first-time voter I did not fully understand the complexity of voting until I received my Absentee Ballot in the mail. Yes, I clearly know voting is important and it's key to be informed and educated on the topics at hand, but I didn't realize they would make it so dang difficult. Here's an account of my thoughts as I read my ballot and tried to decipher half of the topics I was voting on.

1. Looking through the Props.

Confusing. Confusing. I'll definitely come back to these. Hmm... adult film stars? LOL, what is this voting thing anyways? Wait, I'm voting on condoms and medical testing? Why is this even a topic of discussion? *Marks "Yes."

2. Right after I make my first mark.

Was "Yes" the right answer? Or was that saying they shouldn't be allowed these requirements. Ugh, why do they make this so difficult?

3. When I realize I have no idea what writing utensil I'm supposed to be using.

Okay, good I was right. Wait, does this have to be in pencil like the SAT? No, that doesn't make sense, then they can erase my answers and it will truly be a rigged election like my dear friend Donald is stating. *Searches papers for any rules on what to fill it out with, finds nothing* Well nail polish it is! There's no removing that stuff!

4. Noticing that was only Prop 1 out of 20.

Wait what does "prop" even stand for? Proposition? Proposal? Okay back to voting. Well I guess I'll look up some of these topics. Wow there are logical arguments for both sides for EVERYTHING. Perfect, that'll make it easy to vote on.

5. When I realize I'm about to make a real adult decision.

Death Penalty. Oh geez. This is actually important and literally a life or death situation. How am I supposed to decide this if I can't even pick which pair of leggings to wear some days? *Marks a box* Wait! I don't think that means what I think it does. Literally what are they even asking here?

6. Deciding I need help.

"Dad? How do I vote? Decipher the ballot for me please and thank you."

7. When I think I found an easy topic to vote on.

Marijuana laws. Easy peasy, let's get on board with Washington and Colorado. Oh wait, what's this post my pot-head, but educated, Facebook friend just shared? There's reasons to vote against this because people have ulterior motives with it? Weird, it's like they want to confuse us as much as possible.

8. When I see the big stuff.

Alright, POTUS, who ya gonna be? Wait who are half these people? They've definitely got no chance. Is it bad if I write in Michelle Obama? Okay here's the moment... I'll just mark off the lesser of two evils. Done.

9. Once the last box is filled in.

Wait now I have to pay postage? Don't they realize I'm a poor college student who can barely afford a vanilla chai latte a day? And how am I supposed to take a cute Snapchat showing everyone I'm a good citizen and voted when they don't give a sticker to the absentee ballot people? C'mon America, these are the real problems here. Don't they know these are the reasons millennial vote?

While this is an exaggerated account of what it was like to vote, it does represent real struggles I faced as I did my civic duty of voting. Struggling through my ballot as a native English speaker and soon to be college graduate person makes me wonder why they make the process so challenging. It should be a straightforward process all of-age Americans can participate in. Don't take my inner monologue as a reason to not vote. It is a challenging process, but an integral one to our country and you can't complain about the outcome of the election if you don't fill in those boxes and participate in our democracy.

*Note to readers: I did not actually fill out my ballot with nail polish.*