9 Things You Gain From Being A Military Kid

88

A military kid is one of the hardest positions the military has to offer. It is always talked down upon. People call you a military brat, or tell you how easy your life is, but in reality they have know idea the pain you go through in your childhood. Although with all this turmoil the perks of being a military kid outweighs the bad by a long shot.

1. You make friends with people going through the same thing.

Military spouses flock together the longer they stay in a town, and so do the children. You can meet some of your best friends during this stage. I have recently learned that the people that went through the same stuff you did -- as in deployment -- have a better connection with you later on.

2. Your parent always had the best stories of where they have been.

I mean not many "regular" parents can say they have been to over 30 different countries. When they come back it is always exciting, because you get to hear all of the amazing stories he has to tell.

3. Moving was a breeze to you.

You had half of the base at your disposal when it came to moving. If you advertised that there was free pizza there were many that would sign up. Besides that all of them knew the feeling of packing an entire house in two days so they offered help whenever they could.

4. The base always has cool stuff.

From concerts, to bowling alleys, to horseback riding, all the way to fishing and picnic areas, the base offers a diverse options of activities. They give you things to do if you are stuck on base and cannot go outside of the gates. The base tries to keep your stay with them as enjoyable as possible.

5. Hearing, "Your dad has told me so much about you."

I always hear, "hH has told me so much about you" or "You've grown up so much from the last time I saw you" from people I only know their last name from dad talking about them. I swear in their spare time at work they just brag about their kids in little circles.

6. If you need help fixing things, your parent knows someone who can fix it.

The military offers any job you can think of, especially ones that are helpful around the house. Toilet or hot heater broken? I bet there is a plumber your military parent knows that will be over just as soon as they get off work. Car not running right? Why call a car mechanic? They're close to airplanes right? The skills your parents friend circles ascertains is remarkable, and cannot be found anywhere else.

7. There is a bond that will never be broken.

A bond that is made between you and the people your military parent brings around you are special. They will always care for you and look out for your best interest. I know at any moment I have people all over the world that would help me out. I could travel the entire United States just from my dad's military friends I know.

8. Reunions with friends from your old base.

When you finally see that best friend you had for three or four years it is one of the best reunions. Keeping up with old friends was always a must when you moved so much. Without a doubt they were your high light of being stationed there, and you would give anything to bring them to your next station.

9. Your patriotic heart.

Almost every military child has thought about joining or joined their self. After being a military child for 16 years, I have always looked into the military, and it has always been an option for me. When people talk bad about my country that my daddy spent years defending it boils my blood. I will always have the upmost respect for the military and all those who serve.

Military kids may have it bad when it comes to their parent being gone a lot of their childhood, or always moving, or not knowing anything about where they are now, but the military life is not all that bad. I would not change my occupation of "military child" for any other type of child there is out there.