9 Things To Love About The Season of Thanksmas

This may be your new favorite holiday.

165
Emily Almgren

It’s FINALLY that time of year everyone waits for! I like to call it “Thanksmas” defined (by me) as the transitional period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Thanksgiving and Christmas but that in between period after stuffing our faces with turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie to set the Christmas Tree while looking for the perfect holiday deals around town, there’s nothing like it.

As a college student, there’s no better feeling than finishing that last final, piling up all your break essentials, and racing home to begin the Thanksmas festivities. Here are the nine things I love about the season of Thanksmas.

1. 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family

Alright, alright I probably should start calling it Freeform but the 25 Days of Christmas brings out the best of the best Christmas movies. A few of my favorites include How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Santa Clause, Polar Express, and Elf. Who doesn't love sitting by the fireplace watching the classics with their family and friends?

2. Baking cookies with Grandma

I am 20 years old and when I am 40 years old, I will still love baking cookies with my relatives. Especially my 97-year-old great Grandma Kay, who still has to tell me how to roll dough and put the frosting on correctly. This will always be a cherished memory and tradition in our household.

3. Christmas Tree Decorating

The lights, the glitter, the Evergreens (real or fake), colors, star tree topper, and a few old art pieces from grade school that our moms kept around to embarrass us are some of the best to look at in our living room, which is many of our Christmas tree's temporary residence

4. Home for the Holidays

I love driving from Lincoln into Omaha for the holidays because I know I am home for a long break. Seeing the smiles of my parents and brothers when I walk through the door is an incredible feeling.

5. Shopping for the Perfect Presents

Thinking of the perfect gift for your parents, siblings, special someone, or a friend is challenging but once you find it, it's worth it.

6. Eating Thanksgiving leftovers

Who doesn't love a cheat day with leftover turkey, mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving??

7. Waiting for the snow

When walking outside in the morning during the winter, there's definitely a different scent in the air when you know snow is coming. If you're from the Midwest, you know we cherish a White Christmas, snow angels, and sledding down our favorite hills.

8. Driving around to look at Christmas Lights

When going home, we all have that one neighborhood that is perfect to drive around with Christmas music playing in the background to look at the best holiday lights. How much do you think those extra cheery people's electric bills are!?

9. Thanking Jesus

My last, most special Thanksmas activity is always praising Jesus for the holiday season. Being with family back in my hometown is one blessing that I will always be thankful to Jesus for. What will you be thankful for as you begin the drive back home for the Thanksmas season?