9 Things Only Summer Lifeguards Know To Be True

It's nothing like Baywatch.

46
Google

The summer before I came to college, I got the opportunity to be a lifeguard for my local pool. I can honestly say that being a lifeguard was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. My coworkers were great, my bosses were the best people ever, and the job itself was fun and rewarding. I loved the job so much that I thought it would be fun to write a funny article about some of the things I experienced as a lifeguard. Here are 9 things all summer lifeguards know to be true.

1. Sunblock becomes your best friend.

Whenever I was a lifeguard, I would carry a bottle around with me all day long and would reapply ever 2 hours or so. I was serious about it.

2. And flip flops.

You may think these are unnecessary. However, when you step on hot concrete that feels like burning lava, you'll understand why flip flops are a good thing to wear.

3. Chewing on your whistle is a habit you didn't plan on starting, it just kind of happened.

I told myself that I wouldn't chew on my whistle, but how else was I suppose to tell my whistle apart from the other lifeguards'?

4. Whenever you have a day off and go to a different pool, you often find yourself still practicing your observation techniques.

I was never able to relax around a pool because whenever I would see the water, I would instantly go into lifeguard mode.

5. Hats and sunglasses are the best inventions ever.

Until you get a raccoon-like tan from your glasses.

6. When your pool is finally closed for the day and you're able to get in the water, it's a very great feeling.

After watching kids splash around in the nice cool water all day long, finally being able to jump in is pretty great.

7. Sunburns are the worst thing known to man.

One word: Ouch. I got my very first sunburn while working as a lifeguard, and that is the reason why I got so serious about applying sunblock throughout the day.

8. However, whenever you start to see a tan line form, it can be very exciting.

I'm not the only one who thought, "I'm going to get so tan!" whenever I applied for this job, and if you deny thinking that too, you're a liar.

9. You say the phrase, "no running, please!" so many times that you start to feel like a broken record.

"No running, please!" .... "No running, please!" .... "No running, please!"

At the end of the day, I think being a lifeguard is one of the best jobs ever. It is a very serious job that you have to have a serious attitude about. However, it is also a lot of fun, and you can learn a lot from it. It is the perfect summer job.

Happy summer everyone!