9 Things I've Learned From Being Stuck Inside
News

It's the subtle things.

351

The COVID-19 outbreak has forced many of us into social distancing and other protocols many of us never imagined would become our reality.

When I first heard about the outbreak, I never imagined it would have changed my life so drastically. I never would have thought a virus could cause so much panic in the world today. More than that, I never would have imagined that I'd find goodness and beauty amidst this struggle. The empathy that fills the air and the generosity of different organizations during this time is hopeful and it's a change for the better.

Social distancing is quite a change in pace, that's for sure. I'd be lying if I told you that I haven't experienced my fair share of struggles. I'd also be lying though, if I told you it was all struggle.

I can only imagine what circumstances, you, the reader might be facing right now. I hope that regardless of what's going on or when you're reading this, you'll find some of these things I've learned to be uplifting or inspiring. With that being said, behold the 9 things I've learned from quarantine.

1. The bristles on the trees move.

Have you ever just taken a deep breath and looked at the trees and noticed how they dance? If you're anything like me, you like to play your musical instruments while looking at the sky and trees. Lately, I've noticed that when I take a moment to listen in between each phrase or so, I can see the trees moving, as if they are dancing to my music. The wind makes a nice accompaniment and sounds like breathing. Some may say I sound crazy, and I would agree; It is crazy how nature is so beautiful and mysterious. It's crazy how simple things like noticing the movement of the trees can bring me a sense of comfort and peace.

2. Sometimes, It's good to sit in silence. 

I've always been a lover of music. If someone would have told me this a little while back, I would've thought they were crazy. Sitting in silence sounded like a recipe for boredom. Recently, I've come to prefer moments of silence though. I've spent some time really listening, and I've noticed that silence doesn't really sound like the absence of sound. There's a rich complexity in its simplicity, and its calming and grounding to just listen to the hum of the earth.

3. Thoughts are very powerful. 

I used to think my mind was so busy and I wish I could've been able to ignore them. Lately, I've realized it's in fact quite the opposite. After talking to my new therapist about a concept called the "cognitive triangle", I've come to recognize my thoughts as the things I tell myself. I've noticed in times of panic and ultimate stress, I'm typically telling myself "I don't want to be here", "I can't do this", "There's no way I can be here, in this seat, doing this any longer", "My head hurts". All of these thoughts magnify my beliefs, and my body acts up in response. I get a physical headache from stressing about everything. Sometimes, the headache can simply be removed by changing my thoughts. It's not just thinking "I'm happy", it being aware of the happiness that I feel. Embodying it in a wholesome manner helps me to actually feel happy, and then believe I'm happy. It's one thing to say it, but when it actually happened to me- I was amazed.

4. Teaching involves quite a bit of learning

I called up my little sister the other day to work on some math homework, and I learned a lot from it. I was excited to do the same exciting math practice with her that I wish I would've had growing up. To my dismay, I realized she learns differently than I do. I also learned that it's difficult to explain something I am already fluent in clearly to someone. Teaching someone requires being fluent in teaching. Practice and experience makes a big difference. I'm sure I learned more about teaching than my little sister learned about long division.

5. My parents are unique individuals with plenty of love to offer in their own ways

I have to say, this quarantine experience has definitely helped me to appreciate my family a lot more. I've always appreciated my family, but I've come to develop a much healthier relationship with them and myself here at home, and it's nice. Even though we spend the majority of our days doing work at home, the occasional times I have to talk with them and do something with them and the meals we share together have really helped me to get to know them better and it's quite nice. I don't know what I'd do without the life-advice my stepmom has given me. I've learned more about her as a person and her intentions than I ever did in high school. Instead of viewing my dad and stepmom as one unit, I've come to recognize them as individual people who have individual relationships with me and that's nice honestly. I've spent more time talking to my mom and connecting more with her which was nice. I went to a therapy appointment the other day with her, and I learned so much about myself and about my mom. It's crazy how much I learned about her and it was healing to be able to clear past misconceptions up.

6. Just because I don't feel accomplish immediately after it, doesn't mean it's not an accomplishment

Not everything that is rewarding gives me a burst of dopamine. Not everything is new and exciting. Not everything makes me feel like I did something amazing right after I do it. Nevertheless, doing what I'm supposed to do is very rewarding in the long term, and it helps to balance out my mood over time. The thought of doing my homework might not feel good initially, and it might not feel good after I spent a lot longer trying to complete it than I'd have to; but, it still is an accomplishment and is helping in subtle ways. Sometimes, this means I'm building self-efficacy, and teaching myself that I can accomplish tasks that seem overbearing and painful. Who knew completing tasks could be helping to improve my overall mental health.

7. Balance is so important.

If there's one theme that has been consistent in my entire experience, it's the significance and inevitability of balance. I've recently learned that while I love playing trombone, I come to hate it when it's all that I do. Whether I like to admit it or not, I feel better when I spend a little while practicing, and a little while doing work. I tried to drown myself in prayer at one point, and I realized that balance is important here too. Prayer doesn't become as meaningful when I use it as an excuse to avoid doing work. I eventually got into a workaholic state of mind and realized that staring at my computer all day doing homework isn't the way to go either. Sometimes I drown myself with music, and other times I just need silence. Sometimes I need to exercise, and sometimes I need rest. It turns out that I perform and feel a lot better when I have a good balance in my life.

8. Exercise feels good.

There's something about not being able to breathe that's oddly soothing. When I get my heart rate up and work so hard, I leave feeling energized. Sure, I knew this before. Getting your heart rate up turns on AMPK to pick up glucose and yattayattayatta, but I didn't know this would have such a profound impact on my productivity and happiness. It's not some drastic change that happens, but ever so subtly, I do feel a lot better. Whether I'm doing yoga alone or taking virtual classes with my stepmom, it's a solid way to get some extra energy off and feel better. I also love how strong I feel afterwards; It's nice to know that I can feel like I'm dying in the moment, but still make it through just fine in the end.

9. I don't have to change scenery to find inspiration

Life doesn't stop, and things still move. I think it's beautiful knowing that I don't have to continuously move to feel happy and feel accomplished in my life. I can stay home and be productive. I can find happiness and overcome tough days. Tough days aren't the end of my life. Being at home gives me time to live in my own home and really come to understand it in a new way. There are so many things I haven't noticed until now about my family, home, surroundings, and other people. It's almost comforting in a way to look at the same scenery, and try to find something different each day. Life still moves, even when it seems to be still.

Believe me, there have been times where I've felt like a prisoner charged for a crime I didn't know I was guilty of. When I look at the grand scheme of things though, I'm very grateful to be in the position I am in. I have an opportunity to learn, reflect on my life, and grow and that's incredible. Taking sometime to slow down and really appreciate life has opened my eyes to the small things that are changing every day.

I have to say, amidst all the struggle and tragedy, the empathy going around in the world right now is beautiful. It's not everywhere, but it's growing, and that is something inspirational.

I hear you, times are difficult. I don't have any intention, by any means, to downplay the severity of the current situation. Nevertheless, I hope you have been able to really understand things from a new perspective and find the hidden treasures of our new adjustment.