9 Things I've Learned From Owning A Puppy

Warning: The honesty is real.

22
Justin Lyons

Puppies. They are adorable. I mean, who doesn't love them? They offer companionship, great photos for the social media accounts, and they bring out the worst of you. Yes, I said it - puppies bring out the worst of people.

So what are the "9 Things" I've learned?

1. I Lack in the Virtue of Patience

I thought I was a patient person, turns out - that Is NOT the case. At least that is not the case when I am potty-training the pup. Yes- I have read all the ways to train your puppy. From crate-training to giving treats immediately after they do their business outside, I do them all!

I've come to accept the reality that Bee must enjoy watching me clean the floor multiple times a day. I mean, what else would she do her business outside (and being out there for 15 minutes), come into the house, and then 10 minutes later decide to do a whole other round on the tile?

2. My Subconscious Cusses (A Lot)

Let me preface this with the fact that I NEVER cuss. I've never really had the desire to, and I think it makes people sound uneducated. But holy moly...Having a puppy will lead you to use those four and five letter words like nothing else! "Darn dog!" doesn't express the frustration that "dam*it", or "da*n dog!" does when you step in a puddle of pee.

"What the h*ll!", and, "You little b*tch!" also seem to really captive the feelings (at times) in words.

3. Love-Hate Relationships Are Real

They are real, folks. And mine happens to be with my dog.

I sincerely love her. She is a great companion, and she makes life much more enjoyable. I hated living alone, and since having her - it has been much more fun and not as lonely at the house. That being said.... a guy can only take so much of cleaning up poop and pee off the tile...especially when the pup gets ran outside every hour for 10 to 15 minutes. I love her, I hate her. C'est la vie for now.

4. I Talk To Myself Way Too Much

I mean, I know that something like 90% of our dialogue is internal to begin with, but having a dog causes you to verbalize 60 to 70 percent of what is usually kept on the inside. I mean, I guess it is a good thing to get it out there, but let me tell you - I've started having too many deep conversations with myself directed at Bee.

Don't get me wrong - she is a trooper. But when I am talking aloud about something to myself and to Bee, and I happen to glance I her and see her staring back at me with her head tilted and eyes that seem to say, "Poor guy...Does he have a life? I don't get paid enough for this..." - you can only become more self-conscious.

5. "Dog-Parent" Is Real

Not gonna lie - I am a proud dogdad. I have proud dogdad moments, and I document them. Like the first time she sat on command; the first time she climbed up and down the stairs by herself; the first time she flew on an airliner; the day she began jumping off furniture; the day she became able to jump on furniture - all of it is documented.

6. Popularity Belongs to the Puppy

No - the people are not interested in me. They are interested in Bee.

I don't hold it against them. I mean, how could I? She is adorable! She has one of the best tempers out there. She is super soft. She doesn't shed. And she loves attention. Of course she is going to be more popular. She is on her way to having more Instgram followers on her Insta account than I have on mine. (Yes, she has her own Insta. Check her out @beulah_the_minilabradoodle)

7. Life is Better with a Dog

Having a puppy opens a variety of new experiences. From meeting random people who want to meet your puppy, becoming more active because you go on walks & runs, to being responsible for the well-being of a living creature - there is never a dull moment. Plus, the responsibility you learn is priceless.

8. Puppies are Parenthood Preparation

It's true. Having a puppy prepares you for parenthood in more ways than consciously known. So my advice is, if you can't handle and make it through with a puppy then it is probably best you avoid having human children. Let it be known for the record - I enjoy being a dogdad & am doing a pretty good job at it (if I do say so myself). I think I will enjoy parenthood.

9. You Will Not Regret Having a Puppy

Despite the what seems to be endless potty accidents (or the blatant actions your puppy does just to stick it to you), the love that you end up having for your puppy and the love your pup has for you will outweigh the temporary "negative" pieces.

So there you have it. The ten things owning a puppy has taught me about myself. What has owning a puppy taught you?