9 Things Being an Aunt has Taught Me

9 Things Being an Aunt has Taught Me

It's been one month, I'm a pro.

226
9 Things Being an Aunt has Taught Me

I've been an aunt for a month to the most precious gift ever, a niece. Over the past month, I've already learned a lot more than I expected. Some things have come naturally, some have not. So for anyone who is a first time aunt/uncle to a niece, here is what I've learned in the past 5 weeks, I hope it helps you.

1. Pink

Pink everything. Not to feed into the mess that is 'Pink is for girls, Blue is for boys' gender roles 2016 argument, but everything baby girl related is damn near all pink. With the few patches of purple and yellow (I don't think yellow is gender neutral), everything is pink. Let me say it one more time for the people in the back, EVERYTHING IS PINK. So if you're not into the whole pink thing, you will be soon enough.

2. Crying

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2F13%2F636171876356771197-1326562890_636171876350032883-53694604_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=743&h=b1fc7bb5b4b43b8fce613b60bba1cefdcbe03a7e0442ad660ce3027e65650eb9&size=980x&c=1945847082 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F12%252F13%252F636171876356771197-1326562890_636171876350032883-53694604_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D743%26h%3Db1fc7bb5b4b43b8fce613b60bba1cefdcbe03a7e0442ad660ce3027e65650eb9%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1945847082%22%7D" expand=1]Lucky for me, (probably unlucky for my sister) I haven't seen nor heard my niece cry yet (again probably unlucky for my sister). I have a pretty peaceful niece when I'm around. Honestly, she just kind of looks around, maybe coos a little, sleeps and relishes in the fact that everyone thinks that she's cute. If you think you can't handle the cuteness without being jealous, maybe being an aunt/uncle isn't for you. My niece stole my 21 years earned spotlight in a matter of seconds.

3. Smells

BEST SMELLING CREATURES EVER! (except when they have a full diaper). New baby smell is the absolute best. I cannot even explain how good a new baby smells. If you don't know, go find a baby and smell it. (Please don't really do this)

4. Binkies

Not all babies like binkies, but my niece sure does. Here is a good tip I have learned over the past few weeks: Binkies are multipurpose. They keep babies quiet, entertained, interested and overall happy. Who doesn't want a happy baby right? Have at least 3 binkies with you at all times.

5. Diapers

Today, I learned that I know how to change a diaper. Being the middle child of 11 grandchildren, I actually thought I knew how to change a diaper already. The cool thing I learned is that some diapers change color when they get wet: game changer! If you don't know how to change a diaper, its easy. 1) Take off diaper. 2) Assess the situation at hand. 3) Get wipes and new diaper (if you have a nephew, have a few diapers, they pee when they get cold). 4) Clean up baby. 5) Lift the butt, slide new diaper under, fasten new diaper and you're done! See it's easy.

6. Swaddles

Babies love being swaddled. I guess it reminds the of being in the womb. Here is a self-explanatory picture on how to swaddle. Learn! It will save lots of tears from both you and the baby

7. Bottles

Bottles are super important. You can't just use any bottle. You want one that prevents Colic. Colic has something to do with intestinal cramping in babies that's really uncomfortable and leads to a lot of crying. Save your baby/niece/nephew the tears and research your bottles.

8. Sickness

YOU CANNOT BE SICK NEAR A NEWBORN! I've had bronchitis twice in the past 3 months so when I got a cold, my sister and mom were ready to quarantine me from my niece. GET A FLU SHOT! I don't like needles, but I got one for my niece. You're welcome!

9. Love

The most important thing I have learned about being an aunt is love. I didn't know it was possible to love someone as much as I love my niece. It's a love no one will ever understand until you really get to experience it.