9 Small Business Functions You Should Outsource
News

Small Business Functions

20

Running a small business is an empowering experience. Being able to take an idea and convert it into something profitable, a successful enterprise isn't an easy task, and it can make you feel like you're floating on air. Unfortunately, there are several pitfalls associated with independence.

Many business owners convince themselves that they can do anything related to their business, from payroll to customer service. In reality, delegating will make your company more efficient.

Since several startups don't have the capital required to hire employees and pay benefits, outsourcing can provide small businesses with top-level talent for half the cost.

Which Small Business Functions Should I Outsource?

Outsource business functions that you can't do yourself or don't want to spend a lot of time on.

The following examples are operations a small business will typically hire out with BPO.

1. Bookkeeping and Payroll

As one of the most time-consuming tasks for most businesses, it can be difficult for you to keep track of taxes, timesheets, and invoices as you scale. Once you break away from your bookkeeping needs, you won't have to stress over tax season or compliance a moment longer.

2. Human Resources

Most of the time, payroll and human resources go hand in hand, but not always. Typically, HR will handle recruitment, attendance, regulatory compliance, development, and some payroll functions. If you're looking for the full package, outsource both your HR and payroll sectors.

A BPO provider can use best practices and technology to reduce costs and improve productivity and flexibility, which helps employers remain competitive through expansion.

3. Expert Advice

While you're likely an expert in one or several aspects of your business, it doesn't mean you know everything. As a business grows, you may need to start looking for professional management. If you can't bring on a CEO or CFO full time, they can simply act as consultants.

4. Research

Research is endlessly valuable to businesses, whether you need raw numbers regarding the latest trends in your market or your own customers' needs. You may need to hire a team dedicated to research who's knowledgeable on interviewing and metrics to gain insider info.

5. Information Technology

Every business relies on computers, networks, and software. Although we use technology daily, not many of us know how to fix it. Businesses need software engineers and network engineers that can monitor their cloud infrastructure 24/7 and fix company servers should they fail.

6. Customer Service

Good customer service can separate you from the competition. If you can deliver a pleasant customer experience, you'll set your business up to scale. Sadly, great customer service comes at a price, so hire a few independent contractors that can act as the face of your business.

7. Administrative Assistant

Part-time virtual assistants can help manage your schedule and promote efficiency throughout your business. When you hire them on a contract basis, you won't need to worry about benefits, saving you money. Although, you could offer them a few perks to entice them to join your team.

8. Content Creation and Marketing

Content creation is just one of the many ways companies market towards their niche, but you need to know how to do it properly. It takes a lot of time and patience to develop the best marketing strategy for your business, and it's possible to spend hundreds on sub-par results.

Instead, hire a marketing agency that specializes in your industry and marketplace. You'll need everything from social media advertising to website content to increase your marketing efforts.

9. Customer/IT Support

Unlike traditional customer service staff, your customer and/or IT support department is designed to help solve internal and external problems. Outsourcing this department to a call center will allow you to provide around-the-clock support, freeing up your time and resources.