9 Sad Songs For The Inner Pessimist

9 Sad Songs For The Inner Pessimist

To listen to for any occasion

4243
9 Sad Songs For The Inner Pessimist
Huffington Post

Sad songs are my jam.

Anyone who knows me will attest to that fact. In my opinion, there's a sad song to fit any occasion. Wedding? Sure. New puppy? I've got one. Had a bad day? Pull up this playlist.

Before we get into the playlist, I would like to clear up a misconception. I'm really happy. I'm an optimistic person who can see the best in pretty much every situation. I have a friend who has called me a "Disney Princess" on multiple occasions. However, I just see a lot of beauty in sad music. The notes, the lyrics, the emotions all speak to me some way or another.

Without further ado, I introduce my top sad songs to listen to on any occasion.

1. "Travelin' Soldier," Dixie Chicks (2002)

As you may or may not know from some of my recent articles, I have a boyfriend in the Army. But, I've loved this song since it was released which was long before we got together. Every time I hear the soft twang of the Dixie Chicks, I start to feel a little wistful and can place myself in the scene with the girl they're singing about. This song paints such a good picture that you can imagine yourself watching this girl go through all these emotions and situations.

2. "I Know It's Over," The Smiths (1986)

It was hard find a sad song since The Smith's are such a happy band (please not the sarcasm). This has to be my favorite one, though. How can the listener not feel instantly mournful when the very first line, "Oh, mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head," starts to play?

3. "Hope There's Someone," Antony and the Johnsons (2005)

I've always taken this song to be about someone pining for someone they love. I don't feel like the singer was ever in a relationship with the subject -- but everyone has their own interpretations.

4. "Piledriver Waltz," Alex Turner (2011)

Fun fact for all my music friends out there: this song is in 3/4 time which is also commonly used in a waltz. The whole song isn't in 3/4, only the chorus, but it's pretty interesting to hear the time signature change.

5. "I Can't Make You Love Me," Bonnie Raitt (1991)

This has to be the paradigm of breakup songs. It has everything you need to make a sad song; there's sad lyrics, a soulful voice, mentions of not loving someone and a piano playing softly in the background. It's perfect.

6. "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," ohn Mayer (2006)

I have a John Mayer playlist that I constantly listen to because all his songs are sad. That might be an exaggeration but not by much. Hello, Daughters? Sad. Heartbreak Ware fare? Sad! Slow Dancing in a Burning Room is, however, the saddest of them all. "I was the one you always dreamed of/You were the one I tried to draw/How dare you say it's nothing to me? Baby, you're the only light I ever saw" just speaks to me on a soulful level. It tugs on my heartstrings and I can't let this song go.

7. "Lately," Stevie Wonder (1980)

You know this song is about a cheating woman even though Stevie Wonder never comes out and say it. This song is like a narrative; you follow Stevie's story as his lady is getting dressed up, as she leaves and then as he's lamenting his own inadequacies. I also think the juxtaposition of the romantic-sounding piano music in the background with the sorrowful lyrics really drives the point home.

8. "Unhappy Birthday," The Smiths (1987)

Oh, nice to see you again, The Smiths. What you would think would be a more joyful song by the title is actually really melancholy. Go figure (more sarcasm).