9 Reasons Why Being In Greek Life Is Like Going To Hogwarts

We may never get our letters of acceptance from Hogwarts, but that doesn't mean that we don't have something special.

35
visitphilly.com

Potterheads across the world have dreamed of getting a letter from Hogwarts since we were all 11 years old. We read and watched Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they adventured through Hogwarts for seven years, and were heartbroken when we realized a letter would never come for us. While I'm not sure any Muggle institution could be greater than actually going to Hogwarts, learning magic, riding hippogriffs, playing quidditch, and stuffing ourselves at those wonderful feasts, I think there is something that comes close. Here are nine reasons why being in Greek Life is like going to Hogwarts.

1. We're Sorted By Values.

While students at Hogwarts have far fewer choices than we do, and are sorted by a magical hat instead of being sorted based on a mutual selection process, both The Sorting Hat and members of the chapters are looking for particular values in each individual that they as a whole find important.

2. The Stereotypes Are Often Untrue.

We are more than the stereotypes make us out to be. Not every person in every chapter is going to be the same, just as not all members of every house are going to be the same.

3. Wearing House Colors Is Like Wearing Your Letters.

Wearing your letters or house colors is showing others how proud you are to be a part of this family and how loyal you are to those who wear them too. Even though you may put your shirt in the wash or hang your scarf up in your closet, you're always representing what they stand for.

4. You Have An Appreciation And Respect For Your Founders.

Your founders created your organization all of those years ago based on the values that they found most important for an individual to possess. You strive to live by those values everyday to preserve their legacy. Hopefully your founders didn't hide a gigantic snake under your school, but who knows what happened in the 1800's.

5. One Person's Mistake Affects All Of You Collectively.

Points are deducted from each Hogwarts house for mistakes made, which will affect their house's chance of winning The House Cup. In Greek Life the points detracted are silent, and visible through public image and reputation.

6. It's Possible That You'll Be A Legacy.

Ron's whole family is affiliated with Gryffindor, both of Harry's parents were affiliated with Gryffindor, and Draco's whole terrifying family is affiliated with Slytherin. However, Hermione as the first of her family to go to Hogwarts, made her own path. You can choose your own path or follow in family's footsteps at Hogwarts and in Greek Life. Luckily for those in Greek Life, "vintage" letters and apparel are appreciated rather than mocked like Ron's hand-me-down robes.

7. Heads Of House Are Like Advisors.

They make sure everything regarding the house or chapter is in order, are around for advice, and not afraid to give some tough love when it's needed. With any luck, your parents didn't force your advisor to make an Unbreakable Vow to protect you from Voldemort.

8. The People In Your House And Chapter Will Always Have Your Back.

Whether someone is spreading gossip about you, you just got your heartbroken, are going through an incredibly rough time, or are being attacked by Voldemort's snake, Nagini, your friends will be there for you.

9. Friendship Extends Outside Of Your Chapter And House.

Greek Unity is not a myth, and neither is friendship between Hogwarts houses. After all, trying to win The Battle Of Hogwarts, or trying to raise the most money for a philanthropy, tends to bond people together.