9 Pieces Of Advice For High School Seniors Going To College

These reminders will save you this year.

416
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/31/636450908152457766527624840_la-na-high-school-test-scores-20160501.jpg

It’s that time of year for all of you high school seniors: the time where college applications and acceptance letters will come flooding into your life. It’s an exciting but stressful experience and I remember being in your shoes all too well. Now, I’ve completed two months of college, and although I might not be the most experienced or reliable source, here are just a few helpful tips when it comes to bringing your college dreams to life.

1. Unwanted college emails are not worth your time.

If you’re not even remotely interested in attending a college that sends you e-mails weekly, do yourself a favor and unsubscribe from their list. Having a ton of e-mails cluttering your inbox is overwhelming, so keep the ones you have a genuine interest in instead.

2. Your high school teachers are more important than anything now.

For starters, you’re going to need a lot of recommendation letters. Odds are, the best-written ones probably come from your teachers. They’re not only there to teach but to help you prepare for post-graduation life. So if you’re close with one or two teachers, use them as a resource for anything you might need and thank them a lot because it goes a long way.

3. Money is real and college is expensive.

Seriously, paying for college is no easy feat. Money doesn’t grow on trees. Sit down and talk with your parents about how you’re going to pay for college. Track your spending and keep a close eye on your bank account. Save up now so you don’t have to suffer later. And if finances don't factor into your choice of college or university, re-think your priorities.

4. Scholarships are wonderful things.

Someone wants to give you free money to go to college. Fill out all of the applications you can because there are a ton out there. Don’t underestimate the power of local scholarships, too.

5. Start writing resumes now.

Write down every single sport, club, award, job and community service project you did, because you’re going to need this experience for a lot of applications. Resumes are the gateway to a lot of opportunities, so get started tailoring yours to the field in which you are interested. Don’t lie on resumes though. That’ll come back to bite you in the end.

6. If you can, tour the colleges.

If you like a college but you’ve never set foot on campus, you need to visit. The campus was a really big deciding factor for which college I ended up attending. It’s going to be your home for the next four years...you better like it. Whether you sign up for a tour or walk around by yourself, "getting the campus vibe" can help you make up your mind.

7. It’s okay if you're major is "Undecided."

You don’t have to have a specific major picked out when you apply. A lot of people do, but a lot more people don’t. And all those people that do will likely change it at some point in their college careers. College is really about exploring a ton of different careers and interest areas so you can pick what’s best for you. Just be open to any option that comes your way and you should be fine.

8. Go to college for you and only you.

Are you going to a college because you enjoy the programs and opportunities it presents or are you going because your best friend is going there? Or because the frats have the best parties there? If the college you like has everything you need and want, great, then go for it! But this is your future, so you have to make the best decision for you.

9. Enjoy senior year.

The second semester of senior year was probably the most fun and memorable for me, just because I got to spend more time with my friends and the people I care about. Getting good grades is still something you have to do, but have all the fun you can now because graduation will come a lot sooner than you think.

Now go get it!