9 Modern Female Politicians And Activists Who You Need To Know About

In honor of national women's history month, we must celebrate not only ourselves, but the amazing women who fight for equality every day.

393
History Channel

In honor of March being National Women's History month, I was feeling inspired by those who fought and are still fighting for the rights of women today. Through issues such as healthcare, sex education, abortion, and mental health, women must stand together and continue to pursue the respect and care that we all deserve. Here are nine amazing women who have not only inspired me to explore a career in politics, but to continue speaking my mind and advocating for rights that I believe in.

1. Cecile Richards

Richards is an American activist and the current president of Planned Parenthood. She constantly advocates for the rights of women and for Planned Parenthood to continue to receive funding. Her work has helped women all over the United States gain access to Birth Control, STD testing, breast screening, and so much more.

2. Elizabeth Warren

Warren is currently a United States Senator and Harvard Law Graduate, who, although specializing in finance and commercial Law, consistently fights for the rights of women in the Supreme Court, the House, and the Senate. By supporting the Equal Rights Amendment, she pushed for women to be acknowledged and legally protected for the first time ever in the United States Constitution. She is one of the most outspoken political women in the government right now and she fearlessly fights against her peers for the funding of Planned Parenthood.

3. Elena Kagan, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Sonia Sotomayor

These women all sit on the supreme court and are currently fighting Texas’s HB2, a wide-ranging bill that largely aims to regulate abortion providers into non-existence. They are advocating for the abortion rights of every woman, as well as to ensure that all women have access to facilities like Planned Parenthood. Texas is trying to pass trap laws that are meant to “help and protect women,” but, in reality, they are shutting down abortion clinics and havens for safety and education. It is groundbreaking to have three female supreme justices working so hard for a cause such as this. The change in gender equality and women’s rights, if they are successful, would be monumental for United States women.

4. Nancy Pelosi

Pelosi has climbed her way through the American government and is the highest-ranking female politician in American history. She was relentless in her work and known for always making sure that things got accomplished above and beyond expectations. She changed the way that the government treats women and blew past any expectations that anyone had. In an article about Pelosi in the Atlantic, they note, “Women pioneers, after all, often must expend twice as much energy as men for half the credit.”

5. Madeleine Albright

Albright is an accomplished politician and has most recently been seen avidly supporting Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president, as well as promoting women’s rights and safety. She was the first woman to be appointed as the United States' Secretary of State and she advocated for democracy, human rights, and environmental standards both domestically and abroad. Her dedication to policy and pushing change gave her the opportunity to pursue a career in Czech politics, succeeding president Václav Havel, but she declined and continued to work in the United States. Her support and assistance to Clinton’s campaign have allowed her to continue advocating for human rights both domestically and abroad.

6. Mia Love

Love is the first Haitian-American and the first Republican African-American woman in Congress. She was also the first African-American to be elected to Congress in Utah. She is a lead sponsor for the “Student Right to Know Before You Go Act,” which holds universities accountable for providing more information to prospective students before they commit to the school. She wants to ensure that every student has all of the information that they need regarding finances and loans before committing to a school. She has made huge strides in pushing for African-American rights and respect within the Republican Party and continues to demand and receive the respect that she deserves.

7. Emily Brothers

Brothers is the first openly transgender British candidate for Parliament in a major UK party. Along with being transparent about her past, she also lost her sight to Glaucoma as a child. She has pushed through every obstacle that she has been faced with and wants to make a difference in UK politics. Brothers is an incredible advocate for both the transgender and disabled communities. Her commitment to making change has not only inspired many others, but has also made strides in policy changes for both communities. She held a key part in securing Disability Living Allowance for those who are blind as well as advocating for equality in the UK. Although she does not identify as a representative for either the trans or disabled community, she pulls from her own experiences to help others.

8. Gloria Steinem

Steinem is a renowned American feminist, journalist, and political activist. She was the spokeswoman for the feminist movement in the 1960s and '70s. After finishing her degree, she went on to create New York magazine and write about politics and feminism. She quickly became more involved in the feminist movement, speaking out about abortion rights, safety, and education. Soon, she launched the first feminist magazine: Ms. Magazine. It spoke on various taboo topics such as domestic violence, marriage, sex, and abortion. She continued to promote feminism throughout the rest of career and still speaks about her work today.

9. Lizzie Valesquez

Valesquez is an inspirational motivational speaker and author. She suffers from a rare congenital disease that prevents her from accumulating any body fat. She experienced horrific bullying all throughout growing up, which inspired her to become a motivational speaker. She speaks about body image and bullying, encouraging both youth and adults to accept themselves as who they are and to not let the ideals of others affect them. She travels the globe giving lectures and Ted Talks promoting education meant to end bullying and she is a huge inspiration to people around the world