9 Things High School Seniors Should Know About What Comes Next

Do it because you want to, not because your parents said you have to.

29

For many incoming seniors, college is a really big question and decision. During your senior year of high school you're going to hear the words, "Do you plan to go to college?" more times than I can count on two hands.

As a senior in high school, you're expected to know what you want to do with your life and whether or not you're going to college. You're expected to know what you want to major in or what career path you're planning. I personally think that's all a load of bullshit and here's why.

1. Go to college for you, not because your parents said you have to.

This is truly a once in a lifetime experience, but sadly its not for everyone. Go to college because its something that you want to do, not because your parents forced it onto you. Being forced into a situation makes you that much more likely to drop out and not finish your degree, and trust me we're paying too much to ever even consider it.

2. It's okay to be undecided if you're going to college.

For most colleges, undecided is the most popular major. Many college students have no idea what they want to do, most just take a variety of different classes just to figure out what they like and what they don't like and that's okay. You don't have to decide what you want to do with your life in the first year, you still have 3 more to go. It's okay to take it easy and branch out until you figure out what exactly you want to do.

3. Parents' opinions are overrated.

I honestly cannot stress this enough, go to college for what you want to do. Not what your parents want you to do. Being an English/Creative Writing major, I'm always getting shit about it from my parents because its not something I can "get an actual job," in. But in my opinion it shouldn't matter. I love writing and English, but I also plan to minor in Psychology as well so it shouldn't matter what I do with my education. In the end its myeducation not theirs. Long story short, do what you want.

4. Start planning now.

Trust me, you don't want to wait until last minute to get everything done because then the nerves and the anxiety will really start to get to you. It's better to get as much done early on as you can so that way you aren't stressed with last minute things that you forgot to do. Apply for as many scholarships and grants that you can, they all help. Even if it is only just a little.

5. Be yourself.

Going to college is a big step in anyone's life and for most of you you're leaving your friends and family behind. You'll be starting off in a brand new place and a new environment and you most likely won't know a lot of people and that's okay.

When you get to college and you get moved in and meet your roommate(s) you're going to want to branch out and meet others too. Be yourself, let people get to know you for you, not the fake persona that some of us put on for show. You'll make friends by being yourself and you'll find your group, you just have to give it time. It isn't going to happen right away.

For those of you not planning on going to college and/or taking a gap year in between, these are for you.

1. Don't get a job just for the money.

Yes I know, you're fresh out of high school and you aren't looking for a full-time career so soon. However, it is something to think about. You don't want a job just for the money or the benefits it can bring. The richest man alive could also be the unhappiest because he slaves every day behind a desk doing a job that he hates, while a middle class man makes just enough for his family to get by and is the happiest man on earth because he's doing what he loves and spending time with the people that mean the world to him.

2. Don't wait too long to get your life on track.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying your life is bad now, I'm just saying don't take too long to make something of yourself. Everyone should strive to be known, to be remember, to do something that makes it all worth it. No one should live a life devoid of any real meaning. Make your life worth something special.

3. Don't let your parents force you into a certain field.

When it all comes down to it, its your life not theirs. You have to live it, but you don't have to live it in misery doing something you hate. You control your own actions and its your choice as to what you do with your life. Don't let your parents force you into something that will make you the most money when you love doing something else that would make you half the money. Its your life, don't let them force their ideals and dreams onto you. Be you. You don't need their help for that.

4. Don't use the expression, "A job is a job."

That isn't entirely true, jobs vary from place to place and each one is different than the last. But they're all going to matter nevertheless. Each job impacts you a certain way and even if you are making money, you can still be miserable and that effects your everyday self. You may find yourself wishing to be sick so you don't have to go in or hoping that some accident happens and they close for the day. That shouldn't be how you picture your job.