8 Ways To Celebrate The Holidays In Chicago

Get festive with these fun events and holiday attractions the Windy City offers

98

With December being well underway, the time has come to start celebrating the holiday season. Spending time in a city like Chicago over the holidays is something not to neglect. Chicago offers so many ways to celebrate the holidays and whenever you are in need of some holiday cheer, make sure to check out these fun activities. Here are 8 ways to celebrate the holidays in Chicago:

CTA Holiday Trains and buses

Get your holiday spirit with the CTA holiday buses and train. Each day in the month of December up until December 23, a bus route or train line will have a holiday train to help spread holiday cheer. Each train car is decorated from the inside and outside, with santa clause in the middle of the train. See the CTA website for times and more specific information on the dates.

Christkindlmarket 

Christkindlmarket is a Christmas market held annually at Daley Plaza in Chicago. This year they added another location outside of Wrigley Field. The smell of roasted nuts, fresh pretzels, bratwursts and hot chocolate can be found in this authentic German-styled Christkindlmarket. Vendors sell products from all around the world. Admission is free!

Caroling at the Bean

Every Friday at 6pm during the month of December leading up to Christmas, people stand outside of the Bean to sing Christmas carols. Be ready to sing and this annual event brings in many people that helps bring the holiday spirit!

Ice skating at Maggie Daley Ribbon

Enjoy the outdoors with this figure eight style ice skating rink! Get a glimpse of the Chicago skyline up close and you will be able to get in your exercise to. There is nothing like ice skating in order to get into the holiday spirit.

Lincoln Park Zoolights

Catch this wonderful display of holiday lights and be able to take many pictures. Lincoln Park Zoo it is decorated with many types of holiday lights.

State Street Shopping

Get some of your holiday shopping done when you are in downtown Chicago. On State Street, see all the holiday displays and if you don't have cash, then window shop. The Walnut Room in the Macy's on State Street is home to the famous Macy's Christmas tree. Other stores are available to finish up your holiday shopping.

The Nutcracker

This classic Russian ballet is one not to miss. Many theaters in Chicago put on shows of the Nutcracker including the Joffrey Ballet. It is perfect for one who does not want to be outside.

Chicago Christmas Tree

Last but not least, the Chiacgo Christmas Tree in Millenium Park tops off the Chicago list. Thousands come to take photos of this tree overlooking the Bean.