8 Simple Ways For College Students To Stay Healthy During Winter

6. Don't Force Yourself To Go Out

373
Study Breaks

In college, the winter months are dominated by three things: finals, winter break and illness. Having finals and eventually returning home for winter break are typically set in stone, but preventing an illness can also fall under your control. Take the time to stay healthy during the winter months by following these eight tips for college students. Not only will they benefit your health, but they will help you to feel your best while you attempt to finish off the semester on a strong note.

1. Wash Your Hands

The simplest way to stay healthy is to wash your hands frequently, especially before eating and after using the bathroom. Don't forget to use soap and warm water.

2. Sleep

Although students might be busy studying for finals, it is important to get at least six to eight hours of sleep per night in order to function properly during the day. Lack of sleep can result in impaired memory, confusion and exhaustion during the day, so don't skimp on sleep.

3. Drink Water

Water is vital in order to keep your body and mind functioning properly. Because of this, the average person should be drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day in order to stay hydrated. If you're drinking less than that, try bringing a water bottle along with you to squeeze in a little more each day.

4. Cover Your Cough

Are you coughing like crazy in class? Don't forget to cover it with your sleeve (not your hand) to avoid spreading your illness to your classmates.

5. Clean Your Living Quarters

Wiping down your belongings once in a while can save you from germs and viruses that linger on your everyday household items. Simply use antibacterial wipes on door handles, desks, toilets and sinks and you should be good to go.

6. Don't Force Yourself To Go Out

Are your friends pressuring you to go out on a night when you don't feel well? If that is the case, don't forget to always put your health first. Going to a bar with a cold will not only make you feel worse, but you also run the risk of infecting others. Do yourself and your friends a favor and stay home to rest and recuperate.

7. Get Your Flu Shot!

Most college campuses offer flu shots to students and staff members free of charge. Check out your campus health services for flu shot availability.

8. De-stress

Have your stress levels been out of control recently? Stress can make the body more susceptible to bacteria and viruses because it suppresses the immune system's reaction to pathogens it could normally tolerate and fight off. Stay active or try forms of meditation and relaxation to help de-stress your mind and body, alike.

By following these 8 tips, you will be sure to stay healthy during the cold winter months at college.