8 Ways Greek Life Can Benefit You

8 Ways Greek Life Can Benefit You

"First you become a part of it, and then it becomes a part of you."

804
8 Ways Greek Life Can Benefit You
Greek Council at Idaho State University on Facebook

As a sophomore in college, I can definitely say my number one recommendation to any new incoming freshman (or anybody in college) is to GET INVOLVED! Whether you're an incoming freshman or a returning student to your university, it's never too late to check out what kinds of opportunities your campus has for involvement, and joining Greek Life is definitely something to consider. Despite the negative connotations many students (including myself at one point), parents, and media sources associate with fraternities and sororities, I have personally witnessed the benefits that millions of students nationwide have sworn helped them to grow and realize their potential.

After my boyfriend convinced me that attending recruitment would be a good way to meet some new girls, since practically all the people I knew from high school that we're going to college with me were boys, I ended up going through the entire recruitment week and got pledged in to a sorority. I can honestly say I couldn't be more grateful for his little push to go see what Greek life was all about because joining such an amazing system has changed my life.

1. Leadership

When getting involved in Greek life, you have the option to take on a new leadership position each year and this looks amazing on a resume. Personally, I am publicity chair for my sorority, and I know there are a variety of different positions within each Greek fraternity or sorority that people can explore. Having a position requires you to take initiative and may force you out of your comfort zone in order to ensure tasks be completed in a timely manner and to the best of your ability. What looks better to a potential employer(s) than you being responsible for a vital role in order for a system to continue to work together? Even if you decided not to take on a position, you still get the opportunity to participate in councils and/or committees if you choose to do so and gain diversity in your experiences while learning from others and from approaching different methods yourself.

2. Social and communication skills

Joining Greek life has allowed my social and communication skills to flourish. I have been constantly encouraged to converse with new and different people through out the different socials and events each Greek chapter hosts as well as through chapter meetings and council meetings. I have also grown to interact with people outside the Greek system and participate in school functions. When having a position or being on a council/committee, good communication and social skills is an absolute necessity to be confident and responsible in completing and attaining goals (for events, fundraising, etc). This proves to be so beneficial when it comes to seeking employment and creating/maintaining personal and professional relationships.

3. Networking

Throughout having leadership positions, hosting events on or off campus, and attending community functions with your sorority or fraternity, you get fantastic opportunities to network and meet new people. I have grown to interact with students in different clubs, faculty, and staff at my school, and have had plenty of instances where I've needed to reach out to local businesses and franchises for assistant or support with sponsorships. Greek life definitely prompts you to learn the basis behind good networking skills and keeping/maintaining good ties those we network with which provides for many future opportunities on both ends of the spectrum.

4. Time management

I feel this concept is self-explanatory. With there being chapter meetings, council/committee meetings, school/Greek events, socials, and more on top of school classes, homework, possibly a job, and other hobbies people take part in every week, you definitely learn to manage your time wisely.

5. Professionalism

Greek life promotes intellect, professionalism, and personal growth. We all strive to exemplify the highest ethical conduct on and off campus. Through some of the other points I've mentioned, it's already very evident how Greek life can prepare you for success. For chapter meetings and ceremonies, most of them are business professional, which also fosters people to become familiar with, what actually entails "business professional" (you'd be surprised how many people don't know). Nonetheless, you gain extremely helpful professional skills and knowledge through different aspects that are encompassed with Greek life.

6. Volunteering

Greek chapters do hours of volunteer work whether it be on campus, in the community, or for their philanthropy. Although there are a certain amount of hours that are required for most chapters each semester, I learned firsthand that Greek organizations always far surpass the minimum baseline. When another club or organization on campus is in need of volunteers, you can bet the first responders will be Greeks. Not only are you benefiting yourself and others while engaging in volunteer work (on or off campus), but you are giving yourself plenty of room to build a diverse resume.

7. Philanthropy

Each Greek chapter represents their own philanthropy. The job of a sorority or fraternity is to fundraise and promote awareness for their particular philanthropy. When joining the Greek system, you typically lend a hand to the other chapters in promoting awareness and raising funds for them as well. If there's an organization or cause you hold dear, you can search for chapters that may represent them or something similar. If not, I can assure you the philanthropy associated with the chapter you may decide to pledge into WILL become something you hold close to your heart.

8. Life long friends

"First you become a part of it, and then it becomes a part of you." The Greek system really does become your second family to fall back on as you continue your journey as a college student and learn the ropes of being an adult all on your own. Through trial and error of this thing we call life, you really start to learn which people you can lean on for support and guidance, and I can guarantee you most of your brothers and sisters will be on that list of people. I've found several great friends in both the sororities and the fraternities that I know I could come to if I needed to talk with someone or needed some guidance.

"From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it".