9 Tips To Make Your Room Uniquely Yours

9 Tips To Make Your Room Uniquely Yours

I feel it is finally time for me to bestow some of my tricks unto y'all.

193
9 Tips To Make Your Room Uniquely Yours
Stekloplast

Many times I have found my friends commenting on how much they like the design of my bedroom. I feel it is finally time for me to bestow some of my tricks unto y'all. I have a few rules that I always try to follow when designing a room, and I think it can work for anyone’s home. Hopefully this little guide can help you discover how to use your room to its fullest potential!

1. Favorite Colors

The first step is to figure out what color you would like your room to be. Your bedroom is supposed to be your own personal space, so the best way to make yourself at home is to choose your favorite colors. Use one as a base, and use the other one or two as an accent. For example, my favorite colors are red, black, and white. So using white as a base, I added red and black as an accent. Choosing the most light and neutral color is usually the best bet for a calming and welcoming atmosphere.

2. Space

Once you have figured out the colors you would like to use, you need to figure out how to decorate. First and foremost, you must decide on the layout of furniture. My golden rule is to leave as much central space open as possible. Push beds, dressers, and chairs off to the sides in order to have a central space big enough for a couple of people to relax or mess around. It’s no fun trying to dance around, only to whack into a wardrobe!

3. Posters

Walls are an important asset -- use them to your advantage to show off your interests! Posters are always an easy way to do so. Feel free to hang anything you can. I have one wall covered in posters signed by their artists and another one with records from bands I like. It’s easy to strike up a conversation about a common interest with someone if you show those interests on your sleeve (or rather, wall).

4. Inspiration Board

I feel it is super important to keep an inspiration board somewhere visible in your room. This is more of a personal touch, and it helps individually more than aesthetically. Cut out positive words that make you feel good about yourself. Add in pictures of things you enjoy to change it up a bit, too. Every time you see it, you will be reminded of who you are and how important you are. Mine takes up the entirety of my closet and bedroom doors, and every time I feel down, I look at it for a bit of a pick-me-up. Not only is it good for myself, but it looks pretty cool and unique, too!

5. Paintings

This is only for those who feel like going above and beyond, but feel free to express yourself through paintings on your walls as well! I am a fan of "Doctor Who," so I painted my door to look like the TARDIS. Your imagination is the only limit for how expressive you can be!

6. Collections

I recommend that everyone have at least one collection that they enjoy adding to. Collecting is a great hobby, and, when showcased, can also prove to be a great conversation starter. The best thing to do is to make sure your collection is visible so that others can see it and get more of an understanding of who you are. I have multiple collections, some of which are pop-culture figurines and playbills. Kept on shelves in plain sight, I have found out a lot about my friends from talking about my own collections.

7. Bookshelves

Bookshelves are a great way to display while keeping organized. Use them for books, movies, CDs, photos, collections, or just extra storage! Any way you use one, it will look neater and more organized than just laying things on a counter or floor. If you’re really handy, you can even recess one or two into your wall for extra floor space! I have one stand-alone bookshelf and two recessed bookshelves in my room, and they do wonders for organization, storage, and displays!

8. Usage

Don’t use something? If it isn’t sentimental, toss it! Unused things only add to the clutter and make a room more uncomfortable. Clear things away and make things tidy, and you’ll thank yourself for it. It makes it seem like much more thought went into your room design, and it becomes much more visually inviting. On the flip side, don’t make your room so perfect that it looks like you can’t touch anything there. Everything should be usable, but simplicity is the key!

9. Comfort

Most importantly, keep yourself comfortable. Make your room comfortable for you. It’s your own space, after all. Decorate for yourself. Showcase your inner you. Let yourself shine!