8 Important Tips For Incoming Freshmen

8 Important Tips For Incoming Freshmen

College is a time to meet new people and really find yourself. But this is also a scary journey.

16
8 Important Tips For Incoming Freshmen

Dear Incoming Freshman,

Wow, the time is finally here — you're leaving for college sometime soon! You are counting down the days until you leave and start this brand new chapter of your life that may be one of the best. College is a time to meet new people and really find yourself. But this is also a scary journey; this will be the first time that you will be away from your parents and everything familiar (although that seems exciting for some people because no more parents. Cool, right?). Because I also have some really close friends who are also going to start this new phase of life, I wanted to give all the new incoming freshman some tips about freshman year. Hope you all find them helpful!

1. Always Be Yourself

I say always be yourself because when you go to college for the first time and are meeting new people, you tend to change a little bit for people you are trying to become friends with. You become close with people who like to party? Naturally you will cave a little bit and either go to parties with them or do things you wouldn't normally do to try and get close with these people. If that is something that you are interested in doing then go for it! College is a time to try new things and if this is something you want to pursue then go for it! But, if it is really something that you genuinely don't want to do, then don't. The best way to make friends in college is to always be yourself because that is the way that you find the friends you are going to know for the rest of your life.

2. Go To The Functions Your College Is Having

Most likely when you move in, your college will have a whole entire orientation list of activities for you to do. I know my college had a lot of gatherings for the freshman before the upperclassman moved. I never realized how much I loved Bingo before I went to college but they hosted it all the time and it was great let me tell you. Even if you don't want to go to these events, its a great place to meet new people and become assimilated with the campus. They will have events during the year too like movie nights, game nights, food nights, and tons of other things! Go to those, you will meet tons of new people and they are great de stressors from your classes.

3. Get Involved

I know that when you go to college for the first time, everyone and their mother will be telling you to get involved on campus. If you are shy like me, it seems kind of daunting to join a club with all these people you don't know. But honestly, I can say that getting involved on campus was one of my best decisions. I never thought that when I started school, I would be in student government but that is where I ended up and I love the people and what the job entails. By getting involved, you make tons of connections all over campus with different students and staff that makes your college experience a thousand times better. So if you're into movies and they have a movie club, join! Or if you like arts or dancing or something they have a club for, join! You will have an awesome time with tons of new people.

4. It Is Okay To Stay In And Watch Netflix

If you need a day in your bed with your sweats and some Netflix do it. You need some you time, take it!

5. Take Naps

If you need a nap, you need a nap. If you have the time and you're tired which you are going to be I promise, take a nap. Don't let the your classes drag you down.

6. Find A Good Way To Relieve Stress

You are going to be stressed. You are going to have classes where you don't want to go because you are stressed about it. They key to surviving your first year is to find a good stress outlet. Whether it is writing, running, reading, listening to music, watching TV, talking to someone, or taking a walk. Whatever you need to do, do it and stay sane.

7. Try And Stay On Campus During The Weekends

Some people will naturally want to go home on the weekends if you are close enough. If going home is something that you really want to do every weekend then go ahead. But staying on campus I feel is really important. Your college will have events going on during the weekends and its a great time to just hangout with people and get your work done for the coming week. Sure your parents and family can come and visit and its great to go home every once and a while but really I love staying on campus and I feel like it is a great option for most incoming freshman.

8. Don't Be Afraid Of The Freshman 15

I feel like this is one of the most feared thing when going to college for the first time. But I am here to tell all of you who are paranoid that it only happens if you let it happen. If you keep eating normally like you did before you came to school, you'll be fine! If you really want to start working out everyday to prevent it or just want to start working out, go for it! But don't feel like you need to just to avoid that. It may be hard with all the foods your college may offer that aren't so healthy but just making some healthy choices and not over eating will keep away the freshman 15.

I hope that some of these tips help you guys out with your new journey. Good luck to you all, it'll be great just wait and see!