8 Things To Do In Chickamauga, Georgia

The city of Chickamauga has a lot to offer individuals who want to walk and discover the local history.

The historic town of Chickamauga, Georgia is home to a little over 3,101 people who take pride in preserving its historical beauty and keeping the Southern small town feel, which has earned the name "Little Mayberry." The city is surrounded by the North Georgia mountains and valleys that makes it a wonderful vacation spot for individuals who are looking for something old or something new. The historic downtown of Chickamauga offers boutiques, antique stores, and restaurants that will satisfy your wants and needs! Since I'm a true native of Chickamauga, here's my list of the top 8 things visitors should experience during their in Chickamauga, Georgia.

1. The Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park

The Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park is the nation's oldest and largest military park. Visitors can drive to the different memorials and monuments inside the park.The gorgeous marble memorials commemorate the men, the fathers, sons, brothers, uncles that died for our rights. Also, visitors can dial a special number with your cell phone for free audio tour at each number on the signs of the tour. As you drive along the trails, you can park to get out to hike around the park and monuments.

For more information go here.

2. Chickamauga Battlefield Visitors' Center

Before you tour the Chickamauga Battlefield, I recommend starting at the visitor center to get a maps/brochures and to watch the 26 minute film. The visitors' center features exhibits on the Battle of Chickamauga and Campaign for Chattanooga, as well as the Fuller Gun Collection. Also, the visitors' center features a bookstore where visitors can purchase books, pictorials, and other resources about the Civil War.

Each September, Chickamauga's "War Between the States Days" festival commemorates the reconciliation of the Confederate and Union veterans who came together in memory of those who lost their lives at the Battle of Chickamauga, resulting in the designation of the national military park.

Standard Hours of Operation:

Sunday: - Sunset

Monday: - Sunset

Tuesday: - Sunset

Wednesday: - Sunset

Thursday: - Sunset

Friday: - Sunset

Saturday: - Sunset

For more information go here.

3. The Gordon Lee Mansion

The Gordon Lee Mansion was originally the Gordon residence built by Mr. James Gordon, who with his two brothers came from Gwinnett County, Georgia in 1836 to Crawfish Springs, now Chickamauga Georgia. During the War Between the States, the main house was used by the Union Army for General Rosecrans Headquarters just before the Battle of Chickamauga. During the battle the house became a hospital and reports show that many soldiers died in the house, the floors were so blood-stained they were later covered with mats.

Please visit the Gordon Lee Mansion website or phone them at (706) 375-4728. The Gordon Lee Mansion is open for tours every Saturday from 11:00 am. to 3:00 pm. and the admission is $5 adults and $1 children 12 years & under.

For more information go here.

4. Lee & Gordon's Mill

Lee and Gordon's Mills, one of the oldest mills in the state of Georgia, is located about 2 miles east of the center of town on the west bank of the Chickamauga Creek. The mill was built by James Gordon, who came from Gwinnett County, Georgia in 1836. The mill served as the first general store in the area. Also, a blacksmith shop was located nearby and the stagecoach and mail passed twice each week. During the War Between the States (September 9th-10th, 1863), the mill served as the headquarters of the Confederate Army of Tennessee, commanded by General Braxton Bragg. Visitors can purchase corn meal, ground by the mill, at the mill and rental buildings on the property may be used for all types of gatherings including birthday parties, bridal/baby showers, or retirement parties.

5. The Coke Ovens

The Coke Ovens, located north from downtown Chickamauga on Highway 34, allow visitors to see the unique coke ovens used to turn coal into coke for iron and steel foundries. The actual beehive ovens have been restored to their original appearance with train cars and wetland demonstrations ponds.

6. Crawfish Springs

Crawfish Spring, the main water supply for the early settlements, and later the City of Chickamauga in the early to mid 1900's, is located on Cove Road just south of the main town and across the road from the Gordon Lee Mansion. The Spring was named for the Cherokee Indian Chief Crayfish, the earliest recorded settlers in the area. During the Battle of Chickamauga (September 19-20, 1863), both Union and then Southern soldiers used the spring as a primary water supply. The spring is no longer used as a city water supply and has been converted to a park setting with picnic tables, a swing, and a gazebo.

Parking is free along Cove Road and the spring is open for all to enjoy at no charge.

7. Walker County Regional Heritage Museum/ Train Museum

The Walker County Regional Heritage Museum, located in the Chickamauga historic train deport, features a collection of Civil War exhibits, Native American artifacts, World War relics, antique guns and furniture. Also, the train museum contains a complete working 1947 Lionel Old Gauge model train.

Hours are from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesday through Saturday, closed on Sunday and Monday. Admission is $2.00 and parking is free.

8. Blueway Canoe Launch

Visitors can launch their canoe at the historic Lee and Gordon's Mill. As you float down West Chickamauga Creek, you can see historical markers at the Chickamauga Battlefield showing where Confederate troops forded the water.