8 Things I'll Really Miss Living Off Campus

Welcome to the real world?

43

With a new semester coming up just in two months for us college kids (a very painful and slow two months to be exact), I started thinking about my last two years of college. Going into next semester I'll be a junior, and I am not sure when and how that happened because it feels like just yesterday I was waking up to move into my freshman dorm. I loved living in the dorms because it was so easy and everything you needed was around you whether it was friends, a support system, food, the gym or the library. As I said before, I'm going to be a junior next year which means I'll be living off campus, in a house, with three other girls for the first time ever! How fun and scary at the same time! After reflecting on my iconic first two years of college, I began to realize how many things I'm going to actually miss living off campus now. I guess this is growing up right??

1. “Free” Laundry

OK, obviously it is not free since it's usually included in your overall tuition, but it feels free. If you know me, you know that I love doing laundry unlike every other college student out there. I did laundry at least twice a week last semester when most college students do it once a month, ha ha. Next semester, I’m going to be living in my own house with my three friends and basically paying to do laundry is going to force us to plan our laundry days wisely and re-wear clothes more often than usual. At school, you simply walk to the dorm basement, throw your clothes in and pick them up 35 minutes later. It's just easy, and I don't even second guess doing my laundry multiple times a week, but that will most definitely change this year.

2. An easy walk to food and drinks

Living on campus is awesome because food is literally a three-minute walk away, and who doesn't love that. I already know that I am going to get sick of cooking my own food real quick next semester and miss the easy walk to get any food that I want from my dorm. Although sometimes the food sucks, it is still better than getting in your car and driving to get food or buying groceries. I could walk to the dining hall, Tim Horton's, Starbucks or the convenience store in less than five minutes on campus. Plus, you pass tons of friends on the way, and it makes the short walk even better.

3. Don't have to look for parking

Since you are already on campus, you don't have to drive and waste time looking for a parking spot. At my school, parking is super sparse, and you have to get to campus way earlier just to get a spot in the morning near the academic buildings. This is one thing I am going to miss living off campus for sure. I hate waiting for parking and being late to class, so I’m going to always have to wake up earlier to head to campus.

4. Being surrounded by activities on a daily basis

Living off campus, you miss a lot of fun things that go on on campus! Last semester I went to a lot of my RA’s activity nights, and they were super fun and gave me something to do when I was bored. Not only that, but being on campus there were always flyers and signs up for upcoming events, and not living on campus can make me miss those things! Well, hello Netflix and doing nothing all day.

5. Waking up 15 minutes before class and not being late

This next point can go hand in hand with No. 3, but sometimes I would literally wake up 15 minutes before class, throw on new clothes, brush my teeth and dart to class. It was awesome because I was already on campus and knew I would not be late. But next semester, I’ll have to make sure I wake up on time. I’ll have to do all those things plus drive to class and find a parking spot! My alarm will definitely come in handy next semester for sure or else running to class from the parking lot will become a daily thing.

6. Having a clean bathroom

This one really upsets me because nothing is grosser than a dirty bathroom. Thankfully, I am living with all of my best friends next semester but girls can get messy too! Living in the dorms on campus, we always had a clean bathroom because maintenance would come and clean it every day! Cleaning a bathroom, and a house in general, is not something I am looking forward to.

7. No bills!

This next point makes me cringe. Bills. No one likes bills. This is something that you never have to worry about living on campus because once again, it is included in tuition. Living off campus makes you realize how much bills are, when they are due, and really makes you conscious of your use of the water, electricity and gas. So many things to worry about!

8. Having a fridge, microwave and coffee maker all in an arm's reach

Living in the dorms for two years makes you have everything in a tight compact area, literally in arms reach. I loved being able to have all of these things right next to my bed in the dorms because hello, I’m lazy and don't want to move half the time. A walk to the kitchen next semester for these things does not sound appealing at all, but that's growing up, right?