The Adventures Of Nannying: 8 Things I Learned From Watching Toddlers

"7. Have dessert sparingly"

31
disney

During the summer, many college students do all different types of odd jobs to make the money they need during the school year. Some work at pizza shops, in restaurants or ice cream parlors, but for me, I nanny.

Now, nanny is not as easy as it may seem, especially when you nanny for three children under the age of five. Wait, can it really be that difficult? All you have to do is watch them, right? Wrong. Not only are you the person in charge of their safety, but you also have to entertain them, feed them, bath them, drive them to school, discipline them, the list goes on and on. I barely have time to go to the bathroom during the day I'm so busy.

For the past two years, I have worked with the same family and I can promise you that nothing makes you feel older than watching kids grow up before your very eyes. Through this experience, I have collected some helpful bits of knowledge from babysitting three kids under the age of five. So, here are 8 things I've learned from nannying toddlers.

1. Patience is not in their vocabulary

Asking a three year old to wait two minutes is like asking them to wait two years. They want something when they want it and not a second later. If you ask them to wait or say, ‘in just a minute’ they will proceed to ask you every 30 seconds if the minute is up. My suggestion? Distract them some other way so that they forget about the thing they previously wanted.

2. The Ice Cream Man in your enemy

As soon as the music from the ice cream truck come on, run. Run as far away as you can as fast as you can because I promise you, the next five words out of your child’s mouth will be “Do you have any money?” Then, when you tell them no, you have to deal with the furious lip pout for the rest of the afternoon. Your safest bet is to lie to your kids and tell them it’s just a music truck that comes around with free music.

3. Baby Dinosaurs Exist in the form of your 10 month old

Babies do this awesome thing where they scream, in a high pitch at the top of their lungs, just to hear themselves. This process can go on for hours, days even while you have to suffer through it. The “experts” say it’s the “finding their voice” stage of their life. I say, they do it for your sole attention.

4. Need to sit down? Go to the outside

Here’s a little secret: All parents shove their kids outside so that they can take a breather from constantly entertaining their kids. Don’t get me wrong, playing ‘horsie’ for six hours out of the day is fun, it really is, but sometimes, a little break on a chair while sipping on some coffee (or beer) is definitely needed from time to time.

5. Don’t start a tickle fight you can’t win

If you’re anything like me, you love hearing kids laugh. It’s probably one of the most rewarding sounds in the world. But, be warned, if you start a tickle fight, be prepared for it to go all day. Once kids get it in their head that in order for you to laugh, all they have to do is tickle you, they will do everything and anything to get their shot. And yes, that means walking in on you while you’re in the bathroom.

6. Kisses solve everything

One of the worst things is having to see a little kid cry. There is always a reaction time of about three seconds from when they hurt themselves to when they start balling their eyes out where you have the chance to contain the situation. Anytime the kids I nanny for hurt themselves, I always ask if I can kiss it to make it better. To kids, a kiss from someone who they love and trust is like a magical superpower. It can heal all wounds and 9 times out of 10, it does.

7. Have dessert sparingly

Dessert should be for special occasions, especially ice cream. Once kids get even a tiny bit of sugar in them, it’s game over. Suddenly, the day wasn’t long enough and they want to do everything right before they have to get ready for bed. Good luck getting them bathed and in their beds within a reasonable time frame when they have endless amounts of energy at 8 o’clock at night. And yes, I speak from experience.

8. Never leave without telling them you love them

Like I said, I’ve worked for the same family for almost two years now. They have graciously accepted me into their family and I can honestly say I love their kids. I would do almost anything for those kids and they know it. Even when I’ve had a hard day with them and they haven’t been listening, the most important thing for me is to remind them that I love them. I can promise you that hearing I love you’s before you walk out the door melts your heart to the point where you contemplate leaving.

Nannying is a special job. It changes from day to day and some days are harder than others, but working with kids is probably one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had. They love you unconditionally, even when you have to discipline them. Yes, having to hear a baby dinosaur may be annoying at times, but I wouldn’t trade working with these kids for the world.