8 Things Kids Say That Make Their Parents Crazy

Out of the mouths of babes.

185
Flickr

There are things that no parent wants to hear. Especially out of the mouths of their precious children. That doesn't mean those words don't happen. They do. They happen for different reasons, but nonetheless sometimes these words mean something terrible in parent world.

1. "Oops!"

This is probably one of the worst words to hear. It can mean so many things, especially depending on the age of your children. It can be as simple as Oops, I dropped my crayon to Oops, I spilled a cup of milk all the way to Oops, I pooped on the floor. Nevertheless, the word "oops" can make a parent do a 180 to find out what disaster has happened. "Oops" can also be substituted with "uh-oh."

2. "Why?"

They ask why about EVERYTHING. Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green? Why can't I eat 20 pieces of candy? Why shouldn't I drink water before bed? Why? Why? Why? I realize they are curious and they are learning but damn if "why" isn't the worst question ever.

3. "No."

Now, there is the appropriate time and place for the word "no." However, when your precious little toddler learns it, and says it to every single thing you ask or say to them, it is enough to drive you insane and make you just want to hit your head against a wall.

4. "Ouch!"

Much like "oops," this comes in many forms all the way from "Ouch, I stubbed my toe," to "Ouch, my brother bit me," straight to blood curdling scream of a real we need to go to the ER injury. "Ouch" is scary for both parent and child involved and often times leaves us in a panicked state of assessing if the situation is ER worthy or if a band aid and ice pop will be enough.

5. "But I don't have to go..."

These are a child's famous last words. It never fails. You are running late somewhere, and you tell them to go before you get in the car. Those infamous words come out of their sweet little mouths and in your rush you shrug and get them in the car. And then, 20 minutes down the road where there isn't a rest stop for miles the next set of words come out of their mouth...

6. "I have to go potty!"

Yup. You are in the middle of grocery shopping, or as mentioned in number five, on a long drive nowhere near a rest stop and your little angel says it. They have to go potty. And it's always an emergency. They never tell you when they first think they might need to. Oh no, that would be too amazing. They wait until it's a true emergency and they are about to explode.

7. "I don't know."

Why did you hit your brother? I don't know. Why is your face green? I don't know. What did you do in school today? I don't know. Literally every answer is "I don't know." It makes you start to wonder what the heck your kid does know. So you start quizzing them, worried that their education thus far hasn't been good enough, or that there's something not wired right in their heads that makes them do things for unknown reasons.

8. "Hold on."

When you tell your child it's time to turn off the TV to eat dinner, they answer with "hold on," and the same answer comes when it's time for a bath, or time to do chores or time to do homework. It's always "hold on." What exactly am I supposed to be holding on to, anyway?

There are many other things that children say that make us parents cringe and roll our eyes, but let's be honest -- it would take an entire book to list every one of them, and between stopping for potty breaks, cleaning up oops messes and holding on, who has time to list them all?