8 Things You Know If You Grew Up By the Shore

Things every shore girl knows growing up next to the beach.

24
Fashion Style Trend

The breeze in the air, the smell of salt, and the hot dog stand in the parking lot around the corner, where are you? You're by the shore, except not for a visit, because that's where you call home. Growing up by the shore means you are accustomed to a lot of things that other people might not be, but they shouldn't take it personally, you're just a shore gal with a unique upbringing, quite different than people who live inland. What makes you a shore gal?

1. You smell the salt in the air, and you know you're close to home.

The smell of salt means that the beach is just around the corner, and so is your house. There is a breeze most of the time, since you're so close to the water, so you waft in the salt with a smile on your face.

2. You don't understand people when they say they live "close" to the beach, when they live more than 15 minutes away...

When you tell people you live close to the beach you're assuming they understand your definition of close, but they tell you, "Oh, so do I, only 30 minutes!" So naturally you stand there is confusion.

3. A trip to the beach isn't always necessarily a whole-day adventure.

If you forgot a towel halfway there, you can always go back. You're really not that far away. You've grown up having the beach so close that you can go in the morning to watch the sun rise, go home and relax, and come back later on to watch it set. It isn't usually a planned thing, sometimes it can be a last minute, mid day choice.

4. You know at least 3 ice cream places in a 5 miles radius of your house.

You're by the shore, which means that in the summer time everybody wants ice cream. Before you even get to the beach you pass at least 3 different ice cream places, and you maybe even worked at one of them in high school.

5. You also know at least 3 hotels in your town, or around your town that people crowd to in the summers.

Unfortunately, the summers can be crowded. People from out of town crowd the streets, crowd the beaches, crowd the boardwalks, and pretty much crowd your life. You probably have secret beaches you go to that none of the visitors know about.

6. The beach is your serenity.

On the days when you're stressed out of your mind, or feelings sad, a quick ride to the beach for some alone time was always your number 1 cure. Just you, the beach, and the waves of the ocean.

7. There are always a bunch of big firework shows on Fourth of July

Fourth of July the beaches and streets are packed with people from all over-- and so is the water. People in big boats set off fireworks, beaches set off fireworks, and residents set off fireworks. And your poor pet has suffered all these years.

8. You take the beach for granted

It's true, you didn't realize how lucky you were to live so close to the beach until you were older and/or moved somewhere further away. You used to think your town was boring, and there was nothing to do, but little did you know the beach is one of the best places to be, and a true luxury.