8 Stages Of Taking A Summer Class

8 Stages Of Taking A Summer Class

A journey through trying to get ahead on classwork.

22
8 Stages Of Taking A Summer Class
The Odyssey Online

In college, you're always trying to get ahead. One of the most popular ways to get through schoolwork and gen eds faster is to take some classes in the summer. While these classes can be super helpful in the long run, during the summer, they start to feel like a mistake. Here are some of the milestones in the roller coaster that is a summer class.

1. The day you decide to take a summer class

You're probably thinking to yourself, "Oh yeah! I get to get ahead on classes for my major/minor/gen eds! It'll be summer and I won't be busy, so it'll be super easy!" Your adviser is happy because that makes their job of planning your classes easier. All is well.

2. When you get your books

It's all starting to get real. You flip through the pages and try to gauge just how hard this class is gonna be. You don't do much else with the books for now, so you kind of shove them in some corner of your room and pretend like they don't exist for a while.

3. The day classes start

You have all of your things organized. You're kind of dreading what's to come, but you're still feeling vaguely hopeful about the future. Your professor seems nice enough and your classmates seem to be alright. Nothing seems too bad yet.

4. When you get your first set of assignments

Oh no. Summer courses take less time than normal classes, so that means they have to fit more into every week. You had a nice break to forget about the workload from college, so this new wave of work is not a welcome change.

5. When you start to turn assignments in

Look at you, getting stuff done in the summer even when you really don't want to. You are proud of yourself and decide to reward yourself by not doing work for a while...and then you start to put off the next wave of work. It's just a vicious cycle.

6. The first test

Ah, tests. Some people love them, and some people want to run screaming at just the thought of them. This first test feels so much more important than any other one because it sets the tone for how the rest of this summer class is going to go.

7. The midpoint of the class

You're halfway through the class and you can start to taste sweet, sweet freedom. You keep doing assignments and writing papers and taking tests, but you're just dreaming of finishing the class and getting to enjoy your summer.

8. When you finish the class

You did it! You made it through missing out on valuable summer free time and now you have a credit that you really needed. You enjoy the rest of your summer until the fall semester starts. And, before next summer starts, you forget about the struggles you went through, so you sign up for another summer class.