8 Signs You Know You're From West Virginia

"Country roads, take me home."

634
United States of Chic

When you live in West Virginia, there are some things that are just a part of normal life. Other states don't understand some of these things we reminisce on, and man don't we feel bad for them! West Virginia is such a wonderful state and I know I wouldn't want to live anywhere else! Here are eight signs that you are from West Virginia.

1. Pepperoni rolls.

Pepperoni rolls are a gift sent from God himself. Lots of other states have no idea what you are talking about when you ask for one. Boy, are they missing out!

2. Call it “pop” instead of soda.

When you travel anywhere else and stop to eat, when the waitress asks what you would like to drink and you ask what kind of “pop” they have, almost guaranteed shell give you a dumbfounded look.

3. You can’t wait to see the hills/mountains again after traveling.

I know this one is especially true for me. I love to travel and I do travel quite frequently, but at the end of the trip coming home and seeing the mountains and hills gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart.

4. You bleed blue and gold or green and white – or BOTH.

It’s almost like a state requirement to like either WVU or Marshall. Some West Virginians get into really heated arguments over which college team is better and some people love both teams! But no matter which team you pick, you still root for the other team. Unless they are playing each other.

5. You’ve witnessed a couch burning or have burned one yourself.

While this is mostly a Morgantown tradition, it does happen throughout the state. If you haven’t set a couch on fire then odds are your friend probably has or you’ve at least seen one burn.

6. You’re used to back roads and sometimes would prefer to take them.

I always forget that people who don’t live in WV don’t know how to drive back roads.They always complain about them and how windy and crazy they are, while West Virginia-born folks don’t even bat an eye when following the twists and turns.

7) You know all the words to “Take Me Home, Country Roads.”

Let’s be real, this song is literally played at every single gathering in West Virginia so you basically have to know the words.

8. You’ve had to explain that West Virginia and Virginia aren’t the same state.

This one really annoys West Virginians. While we do love the state of VIRGINIA, we really want people to realize that WEST Virginia is a different state.