8 Reasons Living In The Dorms Will Guarantee Freshman Year Success

Dorm life is the best life.

152
Erika Schwartz

Okay, high school students dreaming of college: a fabulous life where you can stay out as late as you like, do whatever you want, make thousands of new friends, and be buried under 6 feet of homework; listen up!

I have the secret ingredient to a successful freshman year. It’s actually not much of a secret, but most of us just look straight past it. Are you ready?

Dorm life.

Yes, you read that correctly. I am talking about communal showers, living about 4 feet from your neighbors, and surviving in a seemingly 6x8 foot box with another human for months on end.

Not only do I have the secret ingredient to freshman year success, but I also know what you’re thinking right about now.

“Dorms are gross!”

“I’ve had my own room for years, how on earth will I be able to sleep with another person who possibly snores???”

“What if I snore?!”

“What if I get stuck with a horrible roommate that locks me out of my room after 9 pm?”

“I refuse to shower in the same place as 20 other human beings!”

“What if my roommate doesn’t shower…?”

I know this is what you are thinking because I thought the exact same things (and more) when I was trying to choose where to continue my education for the next four years (at least.) I came up with every excuse in the book why I shouldn’t have to live in the residence halls, and even went so far as to seek out schools that didn’t require freshmen to live on campus.

Even when I finally caved in and chose a school that DID require me to live on campus, I still was incredibly unimpressed about dormitory living. But, once I got over my high-maintenance tendencies (and trust me, that took a while) and realized I needed to be thankful for where I was and make the most of things, I loved my little home in Berry Hall 223.

I know my little story of perseverance hasn’t exactly inspired you to run to your nearest residence hall and move in tomorrow morning, so, in an effort to further persuade you dorm life is the best life, I give you 8 reasons every college freshman should live on campus.

1. Wake Up 10 Minutes (or 5 if you’re lucky) Before Class

Contrary to popular belief, waking up on your own for 9 am class after spending a night out on the town dancing the night away, isn’t exactly easy. But, it sure is a lot easier when you really don’t have to wake up until 8:50, brush your teeth and put a hat on over your bedhead and make it out of the door by 8:53 and in your seat by 8:58. And if you don’t wake up to your alarm, chances are you will hear the stampede of over achievers rushing to class at 8:45 regardless. Now that I have moved off campus my junior year, I really miss just being able to wake up and go. Plus, dorm dwellers don’t have to find a coveted commuter parking spot—and trust me, that in itself is quite possibly the biggest downfall of living off-campus.

2. Experience the Bliss of a Life Without Monthly Bills

I know, I know. College is expensive whether you pay your bills upfront, or month by month. But let me tell you what, it’s a lot less stressful just getting all of your debts taken care of right away, rather than having to resist buying a new pair of shoes just because your utilities checks went through this week. It truly is a carefree feeling not having to worry about the next fee that is looming around the next month.

3. Less Cleaning/Maintenance Responsibilities

Here’s a fun fact for ya: dorm janitors are the most important people in your life. Your dorm sink is clogged? Call Janitor Jill. You spilled pasta in the hallway? Call Janitor Jill. The second floor shower has a Q-tip in it? You guessed it, call Janitor Jill. Not to mention, you won’t have to clean your own toilets. Sure, you have a list of cleaning responsibilities in your own room to keep your roomie and RA off your back, but sweeping the floor once or twice a week sure beats putting a hazmat suit on just to pick up a used Q-tip off the floor of the shower—even if you were the one who left it there.

4. (Free!) Campus Activities at Your Fingertips

The best part about being buried under 6 feet of homework is there will be plenty of things happening on-campus to help you avoid doing homework. Current movie showings, music department concerts, comedians and endless other activities presented by your student activities board. There are also clubs upon clubs upon clubs to join—which are also a great way to expand your resume. If none of the campus happenings interest you, there is always the rec center where you can defeat the freshman 15, and evade mounds of homework. Two birds, one stone. In addition to helping you procrastinate homework, campus activities are also a great way to meet new pals who are interested in the same things as you. Of course you can still attend these activities if you live off campus, but you are much more likely to just stay home and watch Netflix.

5. Learn to Get Along with Eccentric Personalities

As one could guess, there are thousands of different, and possibly crazy, people on a college campus. Chances are, the craziest person could be your next door neighbor. I’m not telling you this to scare you, I’m telling you because it is an opportunity to grow. At the risk of sounding like a total hippie, dorm life is the perfect place to learn how to accept others, exercise an open mind and live in harmony with others. One of the biggest challenges for college freshmen can be learning how to deal with people of differing backgrounds. Especially if you grew up in a teeny tiny Nebraska town in the middle of nowhere. I made friends my freshman year with people I would have snubbed off during high school, and they truly changed me for the better. It’s always great when you start to see things from a different perspective.

6. Live Next Door to Your Best Friends

THIS IS THE BEST PART OF DORM LIFE. I promise. My best friends are from Berry Hall, and I never would have met them if I lived elsewhere. That being said, I didn’t meet them buy hiding out and doing homework all the time. So, while I am a huge advocate for making the most of your education, I also strongly encourage getting out and experiencing things! Your RA’s will plan social events almost every week—take advantage of them. Surrounding yourself with great friends and wonderful company makes everything like mid-term week better. Isn’t it everyone’s dream to live with/next to their best friends? Residence halls and your college years could be the only opportunity to do it. Take it from me—an introverted nerd from the middle of nowhere—making friends is worth it. So is dorm life.

7. Learn to be Grateful for the Little Things

It’s easy to complain about all of the negative things associated with residence hall living, but complaining really won’t change anything. I honestly think the most rewarding thing I learned from the dorms (besides how to be a wizard with command strips) is learning how to be happy wherever I am. I remember throwing the biggest fit the first weekend I came home after moving to college about anything and everything that I hated about the dorms and even going so far as to begging my parents to let me transfer. But, I stuck it out, and I am so thankful I did. Living a tight space can be difficult, but it will make you grateful for alone time. Once I realized no amount of whining and complaining would make my dorm room any bigger, I just sucked it up, channeled my inner interior decorator, and made my 6x8 box into my home. Having a little, makes you so much more grateful when you have a lot.

8. Smooth(er) Transition from High School to College

I’m not going to sugar-coat it, moving away from home and diving into the world of college is quite possibly the most terrifying thing ever. It’s right up there with the 2016 Election and the U.S. Clown Epidemic. Living in the dorms is like just slowly stepping into a pool of ice water. It’s still freezing, it still makes you want to cry 70% of the time, but at least you can keep your head above water. The dorm staff takes care of a lot of things your parents used to (like cleaning your toilets and showers) and you are surrounded by friends who support you when things get a little too crazy. It’s easier to get to class when every ounce of your being wants to do everything except go to class, and every benefit the college has to offer is at your fingertips—there is so much going on you won’t even have time to miss your comfy bed at home, or your puppy, or your mom’s homemade chili. Actually you will probably still miss those things. But living in the dorms like one big happy family makes everything a little more bearable.