8 Questions To Ask When Buying Your Wedding Cake

A non-exhaustive list of questions to ask in order to avoid getting a crappy cake.

19
pexels

When it comes to your big day, you will need to choose a dessert that you want to give to your guests. If you think about it, your guests are spending some money for your wedding gift, travel and lodging. So, make sure to put some thought and effort into your dessert of choice. Most people go with the choice of a wedding cake. And while you might have a budget, if you get the cheapest cake you can get just for that reason, you could potentially end up paying over price for a crappy cake.

To avoid that, check out these questions and consider them when it comes to choosing what kind of cake you want, and where you're going to get it.

1. What is your average price range? How much does a cake cost?

Different stores will charge you for your cake by different methods. One of the most common ways the store will charge you is per slice. In this case, ask them for their average minimum per slice. Some will charge by layers. Do the same for this method. Make sure that they tell you the prices for the kind of cake that you are looking for. For example, ask if there is an artistic fee or how much they charge for labor. Or, if you are having a tier cake, make sure they are including the top layer in their pricing. The layers, flavors, icing, filling, fondant, buttercream, etc. might also change the price of the cake.

2. How do their tastings work?

It is an important part of the process to ask about their tastings. Not all cake tasting is complimentary, so make sure to get the pricing for that as well. Some places will say it is, but charge you a fee that will go toward the cake you order if you choose to go with them. Also, each place you go will have a different amount of cakes you can try. See if they will also let you taste the fillings or buttercream.

3. Is your wedding date open?

This question is pretty self explanatory but make sure they have your day open. Also, see how many cakes they schedule per day. This number could clue you into how much time they will actually put into your cake

4. How much is the deposit?

You'll want to know how much money you will have to put down and when it is due. Also, make sure to get all the information on what will be done with your deposit and what it will go to. Where will that money go? Will you get any refunded to you?

5. What is your cancellation policy?

Some, if not all, places will have a cancellation policy that outlines everything that has to do with canceling your order. It will tell you how if there is a fee, how it will effect your deposit, when it is okay to cancel your order and get your money back, etc. Basically, make sure that you know what this policy is so the place making your cake cannot take your money for an obscure rule you were not told about.

6. What are your options when it comes to getting the cake?

Make sure to know if they deliver if that is something that you will need. Also, make sure to pay attention to their delivery fee. Some places will charge a flat rate for a certain distance away from their store. Then, they will charge a certain dollar amount for each extra mile. If you do not want to pay for delivery, make sure to ask when they are going to make the cake and when you can pick it up. It is probably a good idea to see if you can get it the day of and make sure you can send anyone over to the bakery to pick it up (as you might me busy the day of).

7. How will the cake be displayed?

Some places will include the stand the cake is put on in the price you paid for the cake. Most will offer them for one day rentals for a cheap price. Either way, you will need to know how your cake will be displayed.

8. What if you are not happy with the finished result?

There are a few cake shops that will not give any sort of refund if you do not like the cake in the end. These places will often put this in their contract and say they are not liable for any dislike or damage. Others will be more confident with their work and say that you can get a refund if you're not 100 percent happy with your cake when you pick it up. It depend on the store, but make sure to read the fine print.