'Milk And Honey' For The Girl Struggling With A Non-Existent Father

"Father, you always call to say nothing in particular."

8669
Julia Stein

The longer I sat and read "milk and honey," the more I noticed how much I resonated with Rupi Kaur's pain. Rupi describes this book as the " journey of surviving... this is the blood sweat and tears of twenty-one years. This is my heart in your hands, this is the hurting, the loving, the breaking, the healing." These eight quotes about her father, when I read them, they turned into quotes about my father and how the hurting and the breaking is a very real thing. Thank you Rupi, for making something that feels so isolating, a little less.

1.

No matter how old I get, or where I am in life, I will always look for your face in the faces of everyone in the crowd.

2.

I learned that at a young age "tough love" was something I was used to receiving. That the boys who would treat me wrong would be so easily forgiven because it was just "tough love."

3.

I have done this since I was 13, and It's exhausting. A relationship should be easy, not forced. I should not have to beg for attention, I should not have to be scared that you won't show.

4.

I have often found myself in this cycle of love and emptiness all at once. No matter how much love my mother can offer me, you still have left a hole too big to fill.

5.

To me this was the ultimate shut down, to be told I was anything like my father, especially when angry.

6.

I wish you'd understand that I know what it feels like to have the ones you love leave, you did it to me, then I to you.

7.

An alcoholic is not a parent.

8.

I've tried to forget, but I am your daughter, and I am part of you. I cannot forget that, and neither can you.