8 Life Lessons I Learned As A High School Choir Nerd

It's just like "Glee!" Except not at all.

179
Georgia Burge

I joined Choir as a freshman in high school expecting it to be like the portrayal I'd seen on TV with shows like "Glee."

It wasn't like that at all. Despite that, my decision to join choir had a hugely positive impact on my high school experience.

I learned music, of course, but I also learned all sorts of life lessons and skills that are applicable outside of the context of Choir. Here are just a few.

1. How to work with all different types of people.

Choir, like all performing arts, generally attracts a certain type of person. These people love performing and feel that they're destined for fame (even though a vast majority of them are not but no one wants to be the one to tell them that). That being said, not every person who does choir is a diva. But there is definitely a higher proportion of them than you'd find in the general population. As such, choir forces you to work together with all sorts of different, and sometimes difficult, personalities.

2. The concept of "fake it 'til you make it."

Even if you think you're on top of learning your music, there will inevitably come a time when you realize that you don't know your sh*t as well as you thought you did. This is where "fake it 'til you make it" comes into play.

Basically, if you pretend to know what you're doing for long enough, you'll eventually actually figure out whatever you're supposed to be doing, whether it be in terms of the music, choreography, or whatever else. This tactic can easily be used in other areas of your life as well.

Note: I would advise against implementing this principle into your life if you happen to be a surgeon or nuclear physicist. Then you should probably know what you're doing from the get-go.

3. The value of teamwork.

Especially in choirs that compete or perform in festivals, collaboration is key when it actually comes to sounding decent. Even if you aren't competing, you still want to sound somewhat competent when concert time rolls around. This necessitates teamwork on several levels.

If the entire choir isn't able to work together successfully, then you're definitely going to veer off tempo or something and it's going to sound like trash. Good luck!

4. How to cope with stress.

For me, Choir wasn't usually a huge time commitment. Most times, I was able to juggle choir, schoolwork, and a sport without significant trouble. But then came concert season.

A full week of multi-hour after-school rehearsals in a hot theater with a hundred other people (some of whom were apparently not familiar with the concept of deodorant). All of this plus an impossibly stressed out choir director made for a hell of a combination.

However, it forces you to learn how to be super efficient with your time because otherwise, you just won't get anything done.

5. How to eat without getting crumbs all over yourself.

Okay, this one sounds super trivial, but believe me, it is an essential and very important skill you learn in Choir. If you get crumbs, food of any kind, or (God forbid!) liquid on your performance attire or costume pieces, there will be hell to pay.

The cost would more than likely be metaphorical as well as literal because if you spill on yourself you'll probably have to cover the dry cleaning bill as well.

6. How to do one hell of a step-touch.

I wasn't in a hardcore show choir so my choral experience didn't require any super advanced dancing skills, but I did learn how to sway in time with music really well. Obviously, it's not exactly a dance move that I'd whip out at a party, but it did help improve my sense of rhythm.

7. How to get out of your comfort zone.

Choir directors can force you to do a lot of wacky things. Whether it be wearing strange costumes for your performances or having to learn songs in languages you don't know how to speak, you definitely get taken out of your comfort zone.

If performing for an audience is stressful for you, try doing it in Latin with a floor-length gown on.

8. How to make lifelong friends.

One of the most rewarding things I gained from my experience in Choir was the confidence I gained and friends I made along the way.

It may have been trying at times, but being a choir nerd is still a huge part of my identity and I wouldn't change it for anything.