8 Lessons I've Taken From The Cheerleading Mat To Real Life

A thank you to the sport that changed my life.

2284
Brooklyn Vaughan

Throughout the entirety of my cheerleading career, I’ve never really thought twice about what this sport has taught me (aside from being able to count 1 through 8 and flip myself until I’m dizzy). As I return from my first college nationals as a more mature and sentimental person, I’ve realized that cheerleading has provided me more than I have ever realized, and I’m forever indebted to this crazy sport that captivated me at such a young age. Here are some of the most valuable lessons that I have taken from the mat within my 13 plus years of being a cheerleader.

1. Being a team player pays off.

Cheerleading is a team effort in nearly every aspect. There are rare occasions where the focus and control of the mat is dependent on one individual, which is unlike many other sports. Recognizing this throughout the years has taught me what it means to be a true team player, and thus I have begun to especially embrace the talents that each person contributes to being a part of our team. Taking this mindset into aspects of my life outside of cheerleading has been incredibly beneficial to building my character and changing my perspective on how I work collaboratively with others.

2. Your bad days only make you stronger.

Practices can be exhausting, especially during competition season. It is extremely common to become tired and discouraged with yourself when your stunts don’t hit, when your tumbling isn’t strong, or when you can’t perform a skill the way it is expected. While it may be frustrating in the moment, it builds strength in cheerleaders without us often realizing it. If we are trained to execute a skill while we’re exhausted, then it only makes the skills more perfect when we’re at our peak performance level (and with a little help from adrenaline).

3. It's important to encourage your peers in order to reach success.

As excited as we are to perform our routine and truly put on a show when we touch the mat, spectators wouldn’t expect to hear about the nerves that overcome our bodies as we wait in the on-deck circle. It seems like these nerves are multiplied if one of your stunts didn’t go smoothly in the warm-up room, and especially when we’re waiting to take the floor at huge competitions, like states, regionals, and nationals. But, the high-intensity 5 minute huddle that occurs before we hit the floor are where some of my favorite memories of cheerleading stem from.

Encouragement and motivation radiates from each member of the team, which never fails to remind me how lucky I am to be a part of something greater than myself. Whether it be a long speech given by the captains, or a wink across the circle to one of our teammates, that “I believe in you” feeling is something I cannot put into words no matter how hard I try.

4. Trust is a virtue (It’s an important one).

I’m almost certain that the bonds made between teammates in cheerleading is more unique than any other sport. Think about it: cheerleaders (literally) hold each other’s lives in their hands. If there isn’t a foundation of trust within teammates, and especially stunt groups, the stunts cannot be successfully executed. In my case, this trust has flourished into some of the strongest and most special friendships I have ever established in my life.

5. Social status doesn’t really matter (surprise!).

If you ask somebody what they think of when they hear the word “cheerleading," they will probably associate it with corny cheerleading movies where girls wear pleated skirts and (for some unknown reason) are all tan and have blonde hair. Well, if you haven’t heard, this isn’t the case at all. There is no such thing as a cookie-cutter cheerleader. We come from all different backgrounds, we study different subjects in school, and we all have very different personalities. (And, yes, male cheerleaders exist. And they are awesome.)

6. Expect the unexpected. Always.

In the many years that I have been a cheerleader, I have never once ran a routine that has been unchanged since the creation of it. Alterations happen nearly every practice, so I’ve learned to become adaptable and accept any circumstances that are for the best of the team.

Most recently, our routine had to be entirely reworked just two days before we boarded a flight to nationals. Although it was the most stressful practice most of us had ever experienced, none of our teammates complained or panicked, because we had dealt with adjustments our whole life.

Cheerleading has also taught me how to step up, especially in times of injury. Although cheerleading is becoming safer with the introduction of new rules and “spotters” to protect stunts, not all injuries can be prevented. There have been numerous times where someone on my team has suffered an injury and we would have to rearrange our entire routine to make it flow again.

7. Manage your time efficiently.

Every cheerleader knows that balancing enough time for school, practice, games, competition, work, extracurriculars, and free time is nearly impossible. But, if you dedicate yourself to what’s important and you prioritize your obligations, you achieve a feeling of responsibility that contributes to becoming more mature and well-rounded. It is important to make sure that you never feel too overwhelmed, or that “your plate is too full.” Whenever this happens, I’ve learned to seek help and address the conflicts instead of letting them pile up and impact my mental and physical health.

8. Being a leader is important.

You can’t spell cheerleader without “l-e-a-d-e-r!” When you slip on your uniform, proudly wearing your school’s name across your chest in bold letters, you become an ambassador for your peers. This platform is an opportunity to be a representative of the school and set an example for your classmates. By being a leader in my school community, I’ve grown immensely passionate about my school spirit, which sets an exciting tone for academic, athletic, and extracurricular events both on and off campus.

Being a cheerleader also gives you numerous opportunities to serve your community and get involved in things you are passionate about. Taking part in events like these are so rewarding to not only yourself, but to the team in its entirety.

Here’s to the sport that has changed our lives for the better, and shaped us into the people we are today.