8 Essentials Every Collegiate Girl Athlete Needs

College necessities

250
Waynesburg Sports

There are many lessons to be learned as a college athlete: life lessons, personal lessons and of course athletic lessons. Here are the eight most valuable lessons I have learned:

1. Organization

Organization is already key in school and in work, but as an athlete, it is that much more important. Keep your desk neat and your bed made. The more organized and kept up with school and personal things, the easier it will be rushing to and from without things getting messier.

2. Sleep

College students should be sleeping 7-8 hours each night according to the Stanford University Health Center. Believe me, I know this seems like an impossible task at times, especially when something like 6 a.m. practice pops up in your schedule. Make a bedtime more of a priority and try to fit in a nap or two even for half an hour.

3. Friends who will understand your mood

Coach just drilled you and the team in practice, and it seems that every class has five assignments due tomorrow. It can be hard to come back to friends in even a semi-decent mood. I find myself having a much shorter temper and not being able to tolerate anyone’s complaints because, let’s face it, athletes have it harder than anyone (not necessarily, but pretty close). Have a like-minded friend or two who can relate to that edgy mood and understand where you’re coming from. Usually another athlete friend, someone outside of school or, for me, my older brother is that person.

4. Extra deodorant

Just make sure to have your sports deo separate from your everyday deo.

5. Casual pampering

If I go home on a random weekend or most breaks, I will get my nails done, do some shopping or get a hair trim, whether there is an occasion or not. And even though I know my toenails are going to get bruised and scratched up as soon as I get back on the field, I still like to get my “for-no-reason” pedicure to keep my feet somewhat maintained. There’s nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while, especially when you are busy 24/7 with school and sports.

6. Ice packs and the likes

More than just the frozen bag of peas, keep actual ice packs, muscle cream, heating/cooling pads and maybe a couple extra Tylenol around. There will always be that one practice that you didn’t expect to be so darn sore from. While you are getting ready for your planned bedtime, plug in the heating pad or pull the ice packs out of the freezer to take the edge off. And if you’re like me, you have a doll of a roommate that might even rub some muscle cream into your back and legs.

7. Secret stash of favorite snacks

Along with the casual, for no reason pampering, ask mom to run to the grocery store before you get to school. The favorite, random food craving may just be necessary after a long week. The weekend rolls around and two nights off from practice has never felt so good. Take the opportune moment to lay low, recover, and buy a 99 cent Arizona Green Tea or whatever it is that your heart so desires.

8. Extra Febreze

Do you roommate, housemates, family and/or friends the favor and get some extra air fresheners. Even if you keep everything stashed in the locker room, somehow that stench can still follow you. Remember that deodorant tip? That could be one of those ways that it just follows you around…