8 Empowering Songs That'll Carry You Through A Rough Week

Songs to help those who are going through a rough patch in life.

252
Eliese Haerle

As someone who has gone through a tough time in addition to the stress of final exams and internship interviews, I have often found myself lost and beaten down. Despite my burning need inside to stay hidden under my blankets, I knew I needed to pick myself up and push forward. It's during those times I made myself listened to the following eight songs to find the motivation to power through:

1. "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten

"Fight Song" by Rachel Platten is most likely one of my top choices. I love this song because it's not angry or full of blame but motivating. It helped me find the strength I needed to finish up that last final paper or not to stress out over losing people I once had.

2. "How Far I'll Go" by Auli'i Cravalho

Make fun of me all you want, but I am a Disney buff. Moana, in particular, is one of my favorite Disney movies of all time. "How Far I'll Go" is actually a pretty empowering song; it encourages taking risks and taking charge of who you are and what you want to become.

3. "So Much More Than This" by Grace VanderWaal

"So Much More Than This" by Grace Vanderwaal is one of those upbeat but also relaxing songs that helped me calm down when my head was spinning and feeling lost. This song preaches to let go of whatever is bothering you because there is so much more out there than that particular issue. A hardship you're dealing with is only a small part of your life, and there is much more to come.

4. "In My Blood" by Shawn Mendes

"In My Blood" was actually the first song I listened to about four weeks ago when I felt beyond broken. My friend and housemate, Maggi (with no extra 'e' on the end or else she'll kill me) showed me this song by Shawn Mendes. It's a great one to exercise to and helps you think things through when you feel like there is nowhere to turn. I highly recommend it if you haven't heard it already on the radio.

5. "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson

Okay, this Kelly Clarkson classic is kind of a given. Honestly though, whether this is about a relationship or you screaming at a final project, it's very empowering. I wouldn't say I could relate to some of the verses, but the chorus was very encouraging.

6. "Brave" by Sara Bareilles

When it came to a problem I was having a few weeks ago there was a good amount of time where I felt I wasn't allowed to be angry about the situation, that I had no right to blame anyone or take the time to just vent it out. This song by Sara Bareilles made me feel that I had that right to be mad about the event, that I didn't always have to be "so understanding and easygoing" as many people describe me as. I don't by any means blame anyone, but it let me feel okay to express my feelings on the situation.

7. "You Will Be Found" from "Dear Evan Hansen"

As some of you may know, I absolutely love musical theatre. "Dear Even Hansen" is one of my favorite musicals. "You Will Be Found" is one of those songs meant to remind people that they're not alone, despite how lonely they may feel. Everyone is truly surrounded by people who care.

8. "This Is Me" from "The Greatest Showman"

First off, "The Greatest Showman" is a great movie, please go watch it. Whenever my esteem plummeted and I felt as though I wasn't good enough for something or someone, this is the song that I would go to. I think it's one that most can relate to and really made me feel better about who I am and that I couldn't let other people let me feel any less than that.

These are the top eight songs I found extremely helpful these past few weeks. If you're going through a rough patch in life, I suggest checking some of these out. Best of luck to you readers, and remember you got this!