8 Disney Villains That Deserve Way More Credit

If you think about it, one of these villains actually even succeeded.

164
Lion King Wikia

When I was a kid I always supported the heroes, but as I grew up, I started cheering for the villains. These baddies have real flaws—and some of them are serious—but they're also more relatable than some of the unrealistically pure protagonists. The more I think about them, the more I believe they aren't evil—they're misunderstood, just like us. Here's a rundown:

8. Evil Queen from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"

The Evil Queen ordered for a girl to be murdered because she wanted to be the prettiest woman in the kingdom. True, she is completely crazy. But this leading lady set the precedent for all the Disney villains after her—and there have been many since 1937!

7. Doctor Facilier from "The Princess and the Frog"

This witch doctor is manipulative and shady—literally, his friends are shadows! True to his New Orleans roots, this voodoo man comes with cool song and style. But it's his passion for his place and culture that's what sets him apart. (And frankly, we can't blame him.)

6. Cruella de Vil from "101 Dalmatians"

Cruella de Vil is probably the most wicked villain (and definitely the most hated), which is a sign that she’s pretty good at her job. Even though she tried to make a coat out of puppy fur, you've gotta admit: her hair is still on point.

5. Scar from "The Lion King"

Scar was very dedicated to his plan, he was so ruthless that he murdered his own brother and manipulated his nephew into exile. If you think about it, he was really the only villain to succeed in their plan.

4. Maleficent from "Sleeping Beauty"

Maleficent is completely evil, powerful, and basically the queen of pettiness. I mean, she dedicated her life to ruining a girl’s life because she wasn’t invited to a party. But to be honest, I would’ve done the same thing.

3. Ursula from "The Little Mermaid"

Inspired by a drag queen, Ursula is an extremely powerful sea witch that tried to take over the entire ocean. (No big.) All this devious villainess had to do was play on Ariel’s emotions to get her to do what she wanted. And I think everyone can agree that “Poor Unfortunate Souls” is the best villain song ever.

2. Yzma from "The Emperor’s New Groove"

While Yzma tries her hardest to be malicious, she ultimately ends up being one of the funniest villains of all time. Let's be honest: You know you've got it made when you possess a secret laboratory filled with every potion ever. She’s brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

1. Hades from "Hercules"

Hades may be the Greek god of the Underworld, but this fireball is sassy. He’s also super powerful with the powers of pyrokinesis, conjuring, teleportation, reality warping, immortality and control over all the Underworld's creatures. But that doesn't keep us from laughing when his epic plans go titanically wrong. (See what I did there?)