8 Creepy Urban Legends That Will Keep You Up At Night

Scary stories that'll get you in the Halloween spirit

212

Halloween is fast approaching. With costumes, candy, and scares coming up, I thought I might as well get us into the Halloween Spirit for the next few weeks. Last week I kicked it off with scary clowns on the rise. This week I'll decide to talk about scary urban legends. Now an urban legend are basically myths that are passed through the grape vine. Some are true, while others can be false. No one really knows for sure, which adds to mystery of them. Not all urban legends have to be scary, some can just be about normal things. However, this list isn't about those normal urban legends. The following legends aren't going to be listed in most popular or anything like that, just in random fashion.

1. Bloody Mary

Now probably the most famous urban legend of all is the story of Bloody Mary. Say her name three times in front of a mirror with all the lights off and she'll come.

I mean who doesn't want this cutie visiting you. Now what she does from here varies on stories. She can either: claw your eyes out, haunt your family, haunt you, abduct you into the mirror realms, leave claw marks on your body...I think that basically covers it. Now no one really knows where she comes from or her backstory, but hey, you're more than welcome to ask her yourself.

2. The Clown Statue

Now this one probably hits a little too close to home nowadays. Anyway, the story goes that a teen is babysitting two kids. She calls the parents asking to cover the clown statue in the upstairs hallway cause it's scaring the children. The parents tell her to take the kids and run, for they don't own a clown statue. The police arrive and arrest the "clown" who was an intruder that didn't have enough time to hide. So always double check those statues in your house, you'll never know which one could be real.

3. The Babysitter And The Man Upstairs

This one is pretty similar to the clown one. A babysitter is hired to watch some kids. She gets three phone calls asking her to check up on the kids. She calls the police and they send a police cruiser. However, they ask her to stay on the line for at least a minute the next time the man calls. She complies in which she has a terrifying conversation with the man. When she hangs up, the police call back again, saying that the phone call is in a different room of the same house. She runs outside to be greeted by a cop who then checks the house. Comes to find out, the children have been killed. Creepy right?

4. Humans Can Lick Too

Now this one is my favorite. A young girl who usually has a hard time sleeping, drapes her hand over the bed where her dog is lying. It would lick her hand where she then relaxes and falls asleep. One night, she keeps waking up with the sound of dripping coming from somewhere. She checked downstairs on the faucet but saw nothing. She then checked the bathroom, where she was met with a gruesome sight. Her dog was mutilated and draped on the wall, creating the dripping sound with it's blood falling on a small pool. On the mirror she sees two things. The first is a sentence written in blood "Humans can lick too." She also sees a dark figure standing behind her. (And yes that is just a stuffed animal in the picture above. I promise)

5. Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn On The Light?

This one deals with college students, specifically people who dorm on campus. Two girls share the same class and also are roommates. They have a midterm coming up the next day. One girl decides to stay in and study, while her roommate gets asked to a party that she attends. She's there till around one in the morning. When she gets back to the dorm, she decides not to turn on the light so she doesn't wake up her roommate. The next morning, she's greeted with her roommate's dead body on the bed. Just above her, written in blood is "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light?" Now two lessons can be learned. Always check up on your roommate, even if it's just shining your light over them. And two, always study for your midterms people.

6. The Body Under The Bed

A man and woman rent a hotel suite for their honeymoon. They call the front desk to complain of an odor and ask to switch rooms. The manager says there are no rooms left and instead a complimentary dinner. A maid heads to go clean the room to help get rid of the smell. This cycle continues for two more days. On the third day, the husband furiously rips apart the room looking for the odor himself. Upon throwing the top mattress off the box spring, they found a dead body. Talk about a honeymoon buzzkill.

7. The Slit Mouthed Woman

Also known as Kuchisake Onna, this is one urban legend that is only really known in Japan. However, it's still intriguing. It's said if you're walking the streets of Japan, a woman will approach you wearing a surgical. "Am I beautiful?" she'll ask. Before you have time to reply, she'll rip off her surgical mask, revealing the face above. "Am I beautiful NOW!?" she'll scream. If you say no, she'll behead you with a pair of large scissors. Then that means just say yes and be fine right? Not exactly, because if you say yes, she'll cut your mouth the same way she looks. The way to escape is to reply with a neutral response like "You look average," or "maybe," anything to give you enough time to run. Apparently some people have thrown whatever they have in their pockets at her. But you know, no judgment, whatever lets you live.

8. The Vanishing Hitchhiker

To finish off the list, I thought I'd end on a less terrifying one, and a bit more on the depressing side. A couple is driving to a bed and breakfast when they see a hitchhiker on the side of the road. They pull over to ask if she needs a ride home. She's fairly young, around late teens. She hops in the back seat and tells the couple where her house is and tell them that her parents are waiting for her. After about fifteen minutes, the husband spots the house and turns to ask if it's the right one. The girls was no longer there. They pull into the driveway to figure out what happened. An elderly couple steps out and explains they're not the only ones. Their daughter died seven years ago in a hit and run. The person responsible was never caught and apparently she won't rest until he is. Depressing man.

Now there are plenty more urban legends like The Hook, Kidney Thieves, Killer in the Backseat, etc. Many of these urban legends have actually been featured on a show called, shockingly, "Urban Legends," and I highly recommend it if you wish to learn more. Others have also had movies, like the case of the slit mouthed woman. If there's anything that urban legends teach us is that you can never be too cautious.