7 Ways To Be There For A Friend Experiencing A Breakup That Seems Hopeless

Better to have loved and lost.

40
two woman sitting on beach sand while facing sunlight

'Tis the season for breakups. No really---studies show that high percentages of breakups occur around Valentine's Day. Why that is, one can't be sure. If you know someone going through a touch breakup right now, here are seven things you can do to help them.

1. Let them vent

Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office Giphy

Yes, it's going to get repetitive and maybe annoying (if you knew this relationship wasn't meant to last)---but letting your friend spill their emotions is key to them being able to move on.

2. Get them out of the house

Friend Help GIF by Koji Yamamoto Giphy

With quarantine, this is a bit more difficult. But the last thing you want is for your friend to be cooped up in a house/dorm/apartment alone thinking about their ex. Go on a socially distanced walk with them if possible.

3. Give them space

angry leave me alone GIF by Team Coco angry leave me alone GIF by Team Coco Giphy

Sure, you might want to know all the hot gossip surrounding their breakup, but let your friend process what just happened to them. They'll tell you the details when they're ready.

4. Don't say "I told you so"

Coding Stephen Colbert GIF Coding Stephen Colbert GIF Giphy

When someone is heartbroken, it serves no one to say you saw their breakup coming.

5. Listen when they talk

bugs bunny love GIF by Looney Tunes bugs bunny love GIF by Looney Tunes Giphy

Listen to their emotions, their rants, and how much they miss/don't miss this person.

6. Don't talk about future relationships

tinder swipe right GIF tinder swipe right GIF Giphy

Now is not the time to bring up that person from class you think would be a good match for them.

7. Look out for red flags

Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches Giphy

If this person's mental health takes a serious dip after their breakup, be prepared to step-in and/or find professional help for them. It's normal to be sad, anxious, and angry after a breakup, but if you suspect self-harm, don't wait to get them help.

Breakups are tough and something almost everyone has gone through. Dig out the tub of ice cream, a good TV show, and prepare for some wholehearted nights of crying. Your friend will remember your kindness in the long run.