7 Ways Trying To Get Published Is The Same As Being On Tinder

The fails of looking for success in the world of online dating and literature.

17

Both Tinders users and aspiring writers are looking to share part of their lives with someone else.

Tinder users and writers are both trying to sell themselves through words.

On Tinder, besides the stereotypical picture of the profile user traveling, holding a puppy or partying, they are given space in their profile to build attraction towards themselves through words. Through messaging, Tinder users are trying to see how well of a fit they are with other users through words. Similarly, writers are given the opening pages or chapters of their work to convince agents that they are a good fit-- a chance worth taking in the publishing world.

Because writers and Tinder users are looking for their ultimate match.

Writers struggle in their search to find an agent who wants their work and believes in their work. Most importantly writers want an agent who has the same vision as them regarding their work. Tinders users are on a similar quest for matches that want the same connection as them: friends, hookups, casual dating, long term dating.

But writers and Tinder users find their journey is a long and frustrating one due to everyone wanting the next "best" thing.

.

Many writers and Tinder users are looked over in hopes that a better prospect exists. Writers' work is snubbed, criticized or rejected. Tinder users fall victim to the dreaded left swipe or they are unmatched because they don't meet the standards of another user who simply wants more or something else. In a world of a million possibilities the promise of an appropriate match often gets lost in the mixed of failed attempts and incompatible pairs in the world of love and literature.

As a result, rejection is something Tinder users and writers become extremely familiar with.

Many Tinder users are well acquainted with the list of matches on their account that never bother to keep a conversation a float or make plans. Or perhaps many Tinder users are acquainted with the disappointment of going on several bad dates that didn't live up to the vision that the user had in their head. With each bad date and every awkward pairing, the search seems to feel more pointless and leaves a bad taste in the users mouth for the world of online dating. One may even start to wonder if they are the problem after too many failed attempts. This feeling is not lost on aspiring writers who find themselves sending out their work several times to be met with silence, rejection, or the dreaded "your work would greatly improve from changing this, this and this, and omitting this, this and this." There is nothing like being a pro at hearing the word "No" as a writer. Rejection is a huge reality in the publishing world and requires a thick skin and resilience not everyone can produce. Both writers and Tinder users start to feel that their time and efforts are being wasted after long periods of wallowing in rejection.

With every rejection their self-worth and end goals are suspended in doubt. Is it all worth it?

After countless rejections from agents and one too many awful matches on Tinder, it isn't surprising for someone to question if their efforts are better put elsewhere in their lives. Perhaps knitting, or Netflix binging. Netflix has never turned away anyone willing and ready. Though it is safer to put efforts towards something that doesn't quite matter too you, life is too short to give up on passion.

And then when they least expect it a sign or success comes along proving that the struggle and wait is worth it.

If there is one thing that is proven in this life is that genuine, hard work and perseverance is more rewarding than settling. If one looks hard enough, there is always a sweet silver lining. Perhaps the writer is reminded why they write in the first place. Or perhaps an agent finally contacts them. On the same note, maybe the Tinder user has finally encountered a successful match or realized the connection they are searching for will not be found within the likes of the Tinder community.